Opposites

The name is Beck Nano. My given name is Rebecca Williams, but if I say that then people go around calling me Becky for the rest of my life. And Becky doesn't fit me. If we met in person, you'd agree.

I've got short spiky hair which I dyed dark purple months ago and pale gray eyes. I turned twenty-four a while back and spent the day working (of course). I've been called a hermit before since I seem to always have my nose buried in strings of code. I don't mind. I work at Nova-beam, a company which develops gaming consoles. We just finished out latest one. It's called the EX3. It's my pride and joy, which might be why I was the one sent to demo it at the first Show Stay Play convention. Or maybe my boss just wanted to get me out of the office for a while.

The SSP convention had the potential to be great. The idea was that they got a panel of youtubers to try out all the new gaming consoles and games which were developed. It was supposed to help out the little companies in the world that didn't have the power to rival Nintendo or X-Box yet. My only concern was the youtubers. Youtubers were dodgy, lazy people in my opinion. Before I worked at Nova-beam I would release viruses into the youtube algorithm in order to mess stuff up and hopefully shut them down. But then my partner started getting into the shadier side of technology and I found myself a new career choice. Things had been working great since then. But now I was standing slightly offstage, listening to the roar of the crowd as they watched youtubers test out new games.

"Nova-beam, you're on after Hi-Drive," a stage hand informed me as he flipped through his clipboard. "Be ready."

I nodded and turned my attention back to the youtubers onstage. There were five of them. Five! As if one wasn't bad enough. There were the Game Theorists (Matpat and Steph), Jacksepticeye, Natewantstobattle, and Markiplier. Why did they all have to be there? It was a pointless redundancy.

Before I realized what was happening the cheering grew louder than ever and the next company spokesperson walked onstage. It was a nervous looking woman wearing the Hi-Drive logo. She wasn't carrying anything besides a remote. I watched with renewed interest. I'd never heard of Hi-Drive before today, but apparently they had some mind blowing virtual technology.

"Hi, I'm Kary," the woman announced. "I'm just the last minute replacement. Teco, our real spokesperson, got wrapped up in a last minute call."

"No problem," Mat said. "You're from Hi-Drive, right?"

"That's right," Kary answered.

"Did you bring some of the virtual reality gear?" Mark asked. Kary nodded and the youtubers all sat up. Apparently nothing catches their attention like virtual reality. Kary pointed the remote at the ceiling. The lights darkened and a beam of light shone down onto the stage. Particles descended from the light, collecting together to form a shape. The crowd gasped as the animatronic bear opened it's jaw and waved.

"Fred bear!" Mark called. The other youtubers were laughing and clapping.

"This is incredibly realistic," Mat announced. "You even got all the proportions right."

"But what about the jump scares?" Steph asked.

"Am I right in saying we've all played this game?" Jack asked. The group of youtubers nodded.

"I'm the King of Five Nights at Freddy's," Mark announced, punching the air with his fist. The crowd roared it's approval.

"But who has more fnaf songs?" Nate countered.

"Hey, just because I was the only one not in that musical doesn't mean anything!" Jack protested.

"Our equipment is called Gamer Life," Kary announced. "It brings any game you have to life, so you can do things like play Five Nights at Freddy's in your own house. But what we really have to show you is our first game installment, Nontube."

Freddy disappeared off of the stage and was replaced by four people. I couldn't hold back my gasp of surprise.

The first person was Markiplier, but not. This one had pale gray skin and seemed to ooze darkness. Just looking at him hurt my eyes.

The second was Jacksepticeye. But this one was a sickly green and glowed slightly. His image flickered back and forth like glitching footage.

The third was Matpat. His skin was incredibly pale and his hair was messed up. Didn't he call that rage hair earlier?

The fourth person was Natewantstobattle. This one had super pale skin and a blue streak under each eye. He grinned creepily at the audience.

"Meet Darkiplier, Antisepticeye, Psychopat, and Natemare," Kary introduced. "We call them Dark, Anti, Psycho, and Nightmare for short."

"That's incredible," Nate said. "He looks just like my videos."

"Do they talk?" Mark asked.

"Not to failures," Dark murmured. His voice was much deeper than Mark's. "So why don't you all go and fail at something else?"

"Why isn't there one for me?" Steph asked.

"Do you even have an evil youtube side?" Mat pointed out.

"Stephdeady makes an appearance in the game as well," Kary explained. "There's also several other small youtubers, but these are our main antagonists. It took years to develop them."

She looked at the four youtubers sitting on the couches. I don't know what tipped me off, but suddenly I realized that something in her attitude had changed. She was dark and cold.

"I suppose it's time for your one and only play test. Too bad you won't be around for more. Nontubers, begin mission 'Kill All Players.'"