Chapter 8

Numb from the overload of information, I feel utterly lost not knowing what to do next. Of course, I knew I was different. I move homes every six months, glass breaks every time I get overly emotional, my alarm clocks are either broken and until recently melted into a puddle because I hate waking up early in the morning. Did I know I'm so different that even God doesn't know what I am? 

No...

"Do you want Dominic?" Gabriel asks gently, placing his hand on my shoulder. "As his mate, he'll be able to give you comfort."

"Why do you think I need comfort?" I ask him hollowly, staring blanking at his knees. "I barely know anything about him. He may know everything about me but in my mind, we just met today. If I go to him for comfort, won't it be too soon to be relying on him emotionally?"

Reaching out to place his hand on my shoulder, I am stunned when he hisses in pain a second after making contact with my shirt, drawing his hand away from me his palm bright red. Horrified, I find myself running out of the bedroom overwhelmed by fear. I have no idea where I'm running, the mansion's scenery blurs around me as I race through the winding hallways.

Suddenly, I find myself engulfed in a pair of cold arms that hiss when it comes in contact with my body. My cheek rests on the chest of this person, the coldness of his body calms me and I don't have to question who I've run to in my haze of fear.

"It's okay," He murmurs into my hair, rubbing his hand soothingly up and down my back. "Take in a few deep breaths. Your body temperature should come down as you calm down."

"Did I come to you or did you come to me?" I ask his chest, burying my face into his shirt, relishing in the coolness of his body.

"I was heading back to the bedroom after I wrote my response to Father's letter," He tells me, pulling me further into his embrace. "As I suspected, you didn't take the news well. Had Gabriel not mentioned your origins, I would have been the one to tell you."

"Why didn't you?" I ask him softly, calming down as his voice fills my ears and my lungs fill with his cologne. 

"He needed to taste a bitter pill to know not to meddle in my affairs," He shrugs dismissively, his voice holding an underlying tone of regret. "Usually he's the bearer of good news and I bear the bad. Nice for a change."

Giggling at his apparent childishness, I feel the last of the flames inside me extinguish resulting in my knees giving in. The Devil catches me before I can hit the ground, he doesn't say anything as he holds me bridal style, taking me back to our bedroom where Gabriel is pacing with his unburnt thumb in between his teeth in deep thought.

"This is my response to Father's letter," The Devil states, handing his letter over to Gabriel. "I'll make sure to mention this to Annabella just before she gets off work. Be prepared."

"Is she alright?" He asks, ignoring his statement. "She was flaming hot."

"She'll be fine in a few days," The Devil responds, sitting me down on my side of my bed near my pillows. "Not only is she new to relationships, but she's also feeling the pull to be with me which makes her confused. Now adding to the confusion is her lack of identity, I'm sure you can understand its a lot to take in in fifteen hours since being kidnapped."

Sighing heavily, Gabriel apologises to us both before taking his leave. The Devil sits next to me on the bed once he's made sure his friend has left his home, taking my hand in his silently offering his comfort. Tears leak out of my eyes as I go through what's happened in the last twenty-four hours, how I went from being late to school to finding out that I am the Devil's other half to finding out I am an unidentified creature with an unknown power meter that is being hunted by a group of individuals who I thought were the same species as me called The Covenant.

"I believe at times of fear and confusion, it's best to speak one's mind," He says gently, squeezing my hand. "If you're worried that you know nothing about me then don't be. We have a long time to get to know each other. Yes, even for me."

Closing my mouth when he adds the last sentence predicting what I was going to ask, I sigh heavily looking up at the canopy of the majestic bed. His gaze rakes the side of my face and down my neck, making goosebumps rise on my skin but I neither say nor do anything to stop his roaming eyes seeing as my eyes had roamed before and he extended the same courtesy to me.

"I'm scared," I admit, facing him. "There is so much I don't understand. The questions... 'What am I?',  'Who am I?',  'Will I hurt people?' and so many more are running through my mind. The fact that I have no answers to those questions makes me uneasy."

"Those questions are easily answered," He informs me. "You are my mate. Your name is Victoria Heavenly. You will not hurt people because while you are my other half, I am also yours. This enables me to stop you from hurting anyone you do not wish to hurt. It's not controlling you but rather taming you."

Pressing the palms of his hands against my cheeks, he squishes my cheeks making my lips part, turning into fish lips as he states, "I'm sure you are also concerned about where you came from but that isn't a concern right now. Keeping you safe from those reckless humans is."

"Why are you so nice to me?" I ask him, my words all blubbery thanks to him.

"Simple," He replies, pressing his forehead against mine, releasing my cheeks to hold my shoulders. "From the moment I ran into you today, I haven't been the same since. I've never wanted to hold someone in my arms just because. I've never wanted to kiss someone as much as I do you no matter how inappropriate the situation is, for example, in this moment there is nothing more I'd like to do than kiss those addictively soft lips of yours."

His lips brush mine with every word he speaks, making all the breath in my lungs disappear as  I hold my breath in anticipation of his lips on mine. Disappointing me by kissing the tip of my nose instead, I open my eyes to see him giving me a sardonic smirk.

Asshole, I huff knowingly. He did all that to distract me from my thoughts.

"It's nearly two o'clock in the afternoon in your world but it is nearly three in the morning here," He chuckles at my pouting. "I need to get some rest before the first of the souls enter judgement at six. I suggest you rest with me."

Feeling exhausted from the number of emotions I've felt so far, I agree with him internally as I move away from his grasp to climb into bed. A feeling of water spreading across my skin startles me for a moment before its gone and I don't find it in me to question what that was.

Seconds after my head hits the pillow, he climbs into the bed from his side. Facing me with his head propped up by his elbow, he presses a kiss to my forehead before throwing the arm that isn't holding his head across my body, pulling me to him. When he's satisfied that I am as close as I can get to him, he lays down on his pillow staring into my eyes until I drift off into sleep.