Chapter 9

To my Firstborn,

I have received news that The Covenant has been notified of your mate's disappearance. This time tomorrow afternoon(your time), a folder will be sent to you on who the informant(s) is/are. I hope you will not be as surprised as I am.

On a brighter note, I am glad you've found your mate. Some fatherly advice, let her warmth thaw that icy heart of yours my son. The more you judge my people, the colder your heart grows resulting in you not seeing the beauty of their flaws. Victoria Heavenly grew up amongst humans despite not being one herself, her qualities will reflect the beauty I see in my creations. I hope you will be able to see it too.

P.S. Come home this Friday for dinner. Bring Victoria, I want to meet my new daughter-in-law.

Yours Truly,

Father.

Setting the letter down, I sigh heavily as I lean back into the Devil's chair.  Daughter-in-law of God. Who would have thought that would ever happen? Not too long ago, I finished reading the last of the manuscripts from the birth of the Devil's younger brother. He like his Father loved humanity so much that he tried to salvage what he could of them by descending from Heaven through Mary and showing them wonders that were unknown to them. Like in the storybook, however, this endeavour results in his 'death' at the end.

"Humans are horrible," I mumble to the empty library, thinking aloud. "The Devil's assistant is nearly as horrible."

"I heard that, Victoria. I promise what happened this morning won't happen again," the sweet tinkling voice of the Devil's assistant chuckles as she makes her presence known. "Why don't you go down to the Judgement Hall to view your mate at work? It's much better than sitting here in this cold library, surrounded by his handwritten paper works."

Annabella Peterson, the Devil's assistant and Gabriel's mate. With beach waved fiery red hair that touches her hip, mesmerising green eyes and skin so pale it looks almost like snow, she is what the Devil calls a succubus. According to what little he could tell me this morning after she burst into our bedroom yelling at the top of her lungs that he's late to work, she is like a mother but ten times scarier.

"Sorry, Annabella," I respond sheepishly, sitting upright as she places a stack of papers on the Devil's desk. "I'm not a morning person."

"You are just like him in that prospect," She chuckles, rubbing the top of my head. "Why are you still in pyjamas? It's nearly noon."

The watery feeling I had last night was the Devil's work, having transformed my clothes into pyjamas without giving me any idea on how to change them back or where to find fresh clothes, I chose to stay in the comfortable sheep print short sleeve shirt and pants pyjamas until he finished work to change them back.

"Come on," Annabella sighs, grasping me by my bicep to pull me out of the chair. "Let's get you washed up and dolled up. I'm pretty certain that idiot can hold his own for a couple of hours in the Judgement Hall."

I almost want to ask her why she believes the Devil to be an idiot but the more pressing issue is where she's taking me. Since I'm still new to the compound, I only know how to get to four places, the kitchen, the library, our bedroom and the Judgement Hall. Currently, she is taking me in neither of these directions.

Not recalling this part of the mansion in the Devil's tour, I am all nerves when she opens a set of double doors to reveal a room with a shelf of towels and a pool of steaming water in the centre of the room lit up by the candle stands against the circumference of the walls. The bath smells faintly of roses but the smell of lilac is the stronger scent of the two. Our footsteps against the tiled flooring are loud in the empty room considering she's wearing stiletto heels and I'm wearing my high tops.