Chapter 15

Not knowing what's going through his mind by offering me the option of speaking to Daniel Osbourne, it takes a moment for me to figure out what topics I want to speak to this stranger that has been in my life for as long as I can remember. My lungs expand widely as I take the few but laborious steps towards the closed cell door. Every step has my shoulders growing heavier and heavier with unknown pressure as my nerves eat me from the inside out.

The man that stands with his arms crossed over his chest, standing half a head shorter than Dominic looks nothing like the man who picked me up from school 3 days ago. Dishevelled deep red hair, dark eyes bags hanging low under his eyes switch between amber and forest green as he paces the small breath of the cell. On his cheekbone, there is a long cut spreading from the tip of his nose to his temple and if that isn't enough of an indication that he's been in a fight recently then the sporting deep purple bruise on his cheek and the busted lower lip should be.

Wearing the same clothes from three days ago, his white T-shirt has streaks of brown across the back and dark copper spots randomly dotting the front while the cuffs of his worn-out jeans are no longer dark blue but a deep brown colour instead, the knees ripped to shreds exposing his knees that are coated with dried blood. 

"Victoria..."He breathes, pausing mid-pace when he catches sight of me through the prison bars. 

Dominic nods to Gordon's partner who's standing by the door, silently requesting that he open the cell door. Stepping back slightly to allow him to open the door, Dominic holds his hand out for mine as I hesitate to enter the tiny space.

My hand in his as I stand by his side, protectively tucked behind him while Daniel Osbourne continues to stare at me. I can't help but grip Dominic's hand tighter and move behind him more when Daniel takes a step towards me with his hand reached out.

"I'm not here to hurt you," He explains softly, trying again to touch me but I only move further behind Dominic, whatever confidence or bravery I had outside the cell diminished. "Victoria..."

"I won't let him take you away from me," Dominic steps in, prying my fingers from his hand to lead me out from behind him. "If you're scared about his eyes, it's a trait of his mate which he adopted. The red is the colour of his Mate's eyes when he transforms."

He? That piques my interest enough that I make eye contact with Daniel in shock. Not that I have anything against his preference but rather that I never even knew of it. In the back of my mind, I feel my cheeks redden in embarrassment at the multiple memories of him and his friends slapping each others' behinds and I can't help but wonder, now that I have this new piece of information, what implication did the butt slaps have.

As though knowing where my mind drifted off to, Daniel is quick to defend himself, "No, I had already met my mate by then. They knew but they weren't. Victoria, don't you dare let your mind swing in that direction young lady, I won't be having it."

"If you didn't want me to think that way then you should have told me earlier," I huff back, glaring at him playfully, a grin tugging at the corners of my mouth as he crosses his arms over his chest with a disapproving look which has me backtracking, "Oh...wait...you didn't have to tell me anything...I'm not even related to you."

Instantly the disgruntlement on his face is replaced with hurt, his arms fall from his chest to hang limply by his sides, his head bent. Not knowing what he's thinking, I increase my grip on Dominic's hand though the strength isn't half as strong as previously.

"Be it as it may," He begins after about an hour of silence which in reality could have been just five minutes, his eyes that meet mine shine with determination. "To me, you're as close as anyone else in my family. Blood be damned."

His words have goosebumps crawling up my arms and I can't deny the truth in his words as he maintains eye contact with me. Letting go of Dominic's hand as a sudden surge of pride and authority surges through my body, I move out from behind him to stand in front of him instead of choosing to face this man who calls me his blood instead of hiding behind my partner.

"What have you come to hell for if it wasn't to kill me? Better yet, answer me this, what made you think the Devil would even let you take me back to Earth?" I ask him coldly, staring him down. "What was your plan? Waltz through the portal and try to find our bedroom and steal me away in my sleep?"

The sudden change in my demeanour catches him off guard but he recovers from it just as quick. Breaking eye contact with me for a second to look at the figure behind me, Daniel responds, "I came here to find you. No, I didn't think it would have been easy but it isn't like I had thought of a plan thoroughly in the first place, all I knew was that you weren't safe unless I knew you were beside me."

"What about Lauran?" I change the subject, not liking his response as it made me feel all gooey on the inside. 

"What about that bitch?" He growls lowly, his eyes flashing red for a second before turning back to green. "If you're wondering whether or not she has the same sentiments I do, she doesn't. However, she did get an earful from daddy dearest when she reported you were taken."

"You never told me we weren't related...why?" I prompt, thinking back to all the moments where we were alone without Lauran in the house or when we went out to get takeout. "You had so many opportunities."

"I didn't know how to broach the subject. I would have told you when you were younger but you couldn't keep that big of a secret. I wanted to tell you when you were in primary school but Lauran made sure she kept near you. I was going to tell you in the elevator three days ago since we were alone and unsupervised but you seemed distracted so I didn't. I was also worried about your reaction."

"Okay, I'll take that as a valid argument," I reply. "What do you know about The Covenant?"

"I am not going to answer that kiddo," Daniel states firmly. "The less you know the better."

At this, Dominic speaks up, "Tell me all you know about The Covenant and I'll allow you to return to your mate."

"And Victoria comes with," Daniel adds after a short pause. "You can visit her at our camp-"

"No. She stays."

"Then there's no deal," Daniel states casually. 

Sighing heavily, I turn to Dominic who looks momentarily confused when I press my forehead against his shoulder, mumbling, "I guess I came here for no reason then. I won't get to know anything about myself or why the humans want me dead. At this rate, we'll never have peace."

Not knowing what I'm getting at, Dominic pats my head gently as he responds, "There are always other ways of finding the information. Don't give up yet."

Sniffling slightly, I head for the cell door which Gordon's partner opens for me while Dominic stays inside. My foot doesn't even cross the threshold of the cell when Daniel's hand wraps itself around my forearm.

"I'll tell you what I know..." He sighs giving into me. "Just, please. Don't cry, Victoria."

Holding up my pinkie for him to promise that he will tell me everything, I couldn't contain the grin on my face when his pinkie wraps around mine sealing the deal. One thing I know about humans with magical abilities is they cannot break a promise once it is made.

"Well, I wasn't crying in the first place but anywho...Dominic, can we go home?" I state, giving him my best puppy dog eyes. "As beautiful this dress is I want to be comfortable when he tells us what we need to know."

The look on both of their faces just before I shrugged Daniels hand off of me to leave the cell is priceless. While Daniel's jaw had almost touched the ground, Dominic looked generally amused by what I had done.

Oscars anyone?