Chapter Three

"But her eyes saved his life

In the middle of the summer..."

Jack's POV

"Tell me what's up." She says and strides into the room, obviously expecting me to follow her. When I don't move after a few seconds she sticks her head out again and glares at me. "Come on..." The tone in her voice drew me to her and I had no choice but to enter the room.

She shuts the door behind us, and we take a seat leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the room as the door.

"Hi." I say.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm fine, thanks. And you?" I sarcastically dodge her question.

"Why are you sad?"

"I said I was fine." I give her a weak smile and she rolls her eyes.

"Is it a girlfriend?" She suggests.

I shake my head. "That'd be stupid, besides I've never had one."

She sighs. "I've never had a boyfriend, either. No biggie."

My head takes a second to wrap around that. She'd never had a boyfriend? How? She was beautiful and sweet and kind. I could see why I'd never had a lover, but her? She was perfect. "Hmph" is all I can manage.

"Yeah..." Her gaze falls. "But that's not what we're talking about! Is it a family issue?" She gains her composure and leans towards me a bit. Her eyes are expectant and I can tell she really, genuinely cared.

"I guess.." I choke on the words. Oh, no. I am not going to cry. I clear my throat and try again. "I supposed you could say that." I am surprised by the strength in my words.

She looks at the ground and grabs my hand. "I'm sorry." She's rubbing her thumb in between my fore finger and my thumb. "What's going on?"

I sigh and squeeze her hand, then let it go. "Sorry." I whisper, wishing she'd touch me again.

She looks hurt as her hand falls back into her lap, but she pretends it doesn't phase her. "Well?" She says again, this time assertive. "Tell me."

"Today is August fourteenth of twenty seventeen.." I start. I was beginning to tear up. I bat my eyelashes until they are gone, then continue. "Exactly five years ago my parents went on there anniversary. They went to a fancy place for dinner in the city. My mom dressed up nice. My dad wore a tie. He never wears ties." I shut my eyes and let some tears fall.

"Hey," She whispers in my ear. Her arm is wrapped around my shoulders and her cheek is to my shoulder. My heart flutters at her touch. It was very comforting and soon I have swiped the tears away again.

"I wish they had known that those clothes were what they'd die in. Maybe Dad would have worn a suit?" I chuckle at myself. My dad was a simple man never extravagant, didn't want attention drawn to him. But that night it was inevitable.

She gives me a sad smile and squeezes me reassuringly.

I continue, "They, uh, they went and ate and had the time of their lives, I suppose. They posted all over Facebook while they were eating and every one was so nice." I take out my phone and pull up the post. "See?"

         Linda Reed

         Such a cute couple. Enjoy more years together!

        Wes Higdon

         Happy ten years! Hope for more to come!

        Jerry and Tanya Layne

        Come see us, soon, kiddo! Still not digging that husband of yours, but I'm glad you're enjoying yourselves, love.

"That last one was my mom's parents'."

"Hmph."

I scroll down on the comments a bit and they're filled with "Rest in pieces" or "Enjoy eternity together. Condolences."

She frowns at that. "What, uh, what happened to them?"

My shoulders shudder. "They walked back through the bad part of the city." I blink away tears. "They, they got shot."

Her mouth falls open. "No."

I nod.

"That's horrible."

Nodding, again.

"I'm so sorry."

She wraps both of her arms around me and I rest my head on her shoulder. I was a good foot taller than her, so it was uncomfortable, but her embrace was amazing.

"I was going to kill myself." I whisper to her. "Tonight. I was going to end it."

She holds me tighter. "You're staying with me tonight." She pulls away and I already miss her even though she was a few inches away. What was this feeling?

"Will that be okay?"

She smiles. "Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission." And then, she's kissing me. Her lips soft against mine. My hands find her waist and I pull her in close. I was feeling something inside, something I'd never felt before.

Love.

NO.

I break myself away from her and run to the door. I catch a glimpse of her over my shoulder. She looked heartbroken. I can't. If you fall in love, you get hurt. Or worse, you die. I couldn't let her in. I didn't want to hurt her, and I didn't want to get hurt worse.

"I-" She starts.

"I'm sorry." I say and turn the corner, sprinting as far away from that house, that girl, that feeling, as I could possibly get.