Chapter Four

"In the middle of the summer

All was golden in the day,

All was golden when the day met the night."

Serena's POV

I stood gaping at the door, my mouth hanging open. Never haven been in a relationship, I had also never kissed anyone and having my first kiss run out of the door probably wasn't the best story.

Did I do something wrong?

I start walking back towards my house. The boy was no where to be seen. The boy.. Wait! I didn't even know his name.

I sigh long and loud, then begin jogging back to my house. It was almost lunch time and I was getting hungry. My dad would be home for his lunch break soon and he'd, hopefully, bring me something to eat.

As I walk into my driveway, my dad pulls in behind me. He honks once, twice, and I giggle moving out of his way.

"Hey, dad." I say when he gets out of his vehicle. "How was work?"

He shrugs. "It's alright. I brought you a chicken sandwich." He reaches into the car and pulls out my lunch wrapped in tin foil. He had one, too, but his was probably a hamburger; he didn't like poultry.

"How has your day been?" He asks once we've seated at the kitchen table.

"It's been alright. I read some." I take a bite out of the sandwich; it was spicy. Yum.

He smiles, "So you're liking that book? It's a big metaphor."

I nod. "I know. Politics aren't really my thing, but I can grin and bear it." I nudge him with my elbow. "Thanks for buying it, though. Honest, I prefer teen fiction, but not the sappy romanc-y stuff."

Dad nods, "Good. There will be no romance books in this house. If I allowed it, before long you'd be wanting Fifty Shades."

"Yeah. Don't worry."

He takes the last bite of his burger, licks his fingers and then stands up to fix himself something to drink. "Can you get me some more tea?" I ask. "My cup is still outside, but I can go get it."

He nods.

"Thanks." I put the remainder of my sandwich back on the tinfoil and walk back outside to retrieve my teacup.

As I'm turning on my heel to go back inside a familiar voice whispers behind me. It was the boy. He was practically kissing my neck, for he was so close. "Hey." He says.

I turn around quick. "Hi."

"I'm sorry about all that." He points in the general direction of the house.

"It's totally okay. Forget about it." I shrug.

He sighs. "Yeah. Forget about it. Let's stay friends. I want you in my life." He smiles and extends a hand.

I shake it with a goofy grin. "Yes, still friends."

"So, can I still take you up on the whole sleeping over tonight offer?"

I smile, "Yeah. Wait out here a minute. My dad will leave soon and you can waltz right in the front door. He won't mind later tonight. It's fine."

"Okay." He walks down the road a bit and starts conversing with the neighbors. Such a sweet boy.

"Here, dad." I say holding out my cup for him to fill. "Thanks."

He "hmphs" in response.

"Well, I'm heading out." He calls leaving the room. "See you in a bit."

"See you, dad." I say as the door shuts.

A few moments later it opens again and there was the boy. In my house. He was the first boy ever to be in my house. Did I even clean anything up?

"Uh, hey. Welcome to my humble home. Would you like a tour?"

He chuckles, but his eyes don't change. They were just empty.

"My room is down this hallway." I lead him down the strip and we enter my room. He shuts the door behind him and sits on the armchair I have by my desk. I sit on the edge of the bed.

"So..." He glances around the room-- sizing it up, I suppose. "It's pretty. I like the colors."

My room was mostly black and red. The walls were a pretty off white color, the curtains were black, and my bed sheet was red. "Yeah, I guess it's pretty okay." I grin.

He smiles, but, still, those sad eyes never changed.

"So, uh, I don't think I ever caught your name..." I say breaking the awkward silence.

"That's because I didn't throw it." He looks at me and half smiles. Then he moves his arm as if he was throwing a baseball and says, "It's Jack."

I use both of my hands to imitate catching a fly ball and say, "Cool, mine is Serena." Then I toss the imaginary name-ball back at him. He grins and it looks almost real this time.