Chapter 1 - The Papers

CHRISTINE

"What do you mean leave?" I said confused, "I don't understand. Did something happen, honey?"

Matthew frowned and pinched down his nose bridge. "You heard me, sign the divorce papers and leave and don't even dare to come back or even call," Matthew said a coldly voice.

"Please, Matthew, at least tell me wh-."

Suddenly I felt a sharp, burning sensation on my cheek. Did he just... He had never ever layed hands on me before and all of the sudden he slapped me. Everything that they said were true. I could hear the voices of the people warning me.

'Don't let love blind you, Christine!'

'He is very unpredictable and manipulative, be careful'

'I heard that he has a criminal record because he once abused some woman or something.'

Tears filled my eyes and my sight became blurry. I looked down en tried to hide it. Furiously, I grabbed a pen and signed the papers. Then with all my strength I threw them at him.

"Everything they said were true, they had warned me about you being like this." I wrapped my arms as an attempt to comfort myself.

He laughed at my poor attempt and glanced at the papers on the floor. "I'll tell you why, if you are still wondering, Chrissy." He paused and then looked up and looked me dead in the eyes. "I love somebody else, Christine. I've been with her for a months now." His eyes darkened.

I felt like I was being suffocated. He lift up one corner of his lips and he chuckled. "You should see your face right know!" He now laughed. "And the most funny thing is that you haven't even noticed a thing."

I grounded my jaw and looked up. I felt like I couldn't breath anymore. I gasped for air. Everything felt so cold, everything except for the tears rolling down my face.

"Look, I really loved you, Christine. I did. Something just changed.' He tried to put a hand on my shoulder, but I pulled myself away from that filth.

At that moment everything was so chaotic but also so clear at the same time. I took a deep breath and looked deep into his brown beautiful, strong eyes. Tears, once again, welled up in my eyes. I had never felt so embarrassed, ashamed and betrayed before.

"Everything, everything that I had endured for you and everything that I had to gave up for you!" I laughed.

After al those year, I could finally see my foolishness, that others had been seeing from the beginning.

"I don't want the money or anything from you. And everything else here you can keep it too," I said.

Matthew sighed. "I have arranged a temporary place for you to live and everything else."

I grabbed my suitcase and headed to the door. Matthew stood at the door, holding it open. "Cancel it. I don't want it." Without turning my head, I left.

As I past him, he grabbed my arm in his hand and whispered in my ear, "This is for the best. I'm sorry."

I forcefully janked my arm out of his grasp. "Goodbye, Matthew."