Chapter Six - One Way Ticket

CHRISTINE

When we arrived, I was surprised at the room that they had appointed to us. The room was big, clean —cleaner than normal— and filled with

"Is this because I work here or what?" I told Monica.

"I don't know. Maybe there weren't any rooms left." She shrugged her shoulders.

"Anyway, I like this." Monica threw herself on the sofa on the corner with a big smile.

"O, M, G. Christine, look at this!" She almost yelled. "A minibar in a hospital? Are you kidding me!" Her mouth fell wide open as if she saw something she had never seen before.

I rolled my eyes and tried laughed but the contractions are becoming stronger and shorter over time.

The nurse came in and checked the dilation.

"Dr. Wilson, you have dilated enough. It's time to push." She beeped 2 other nurses and they entered the room within seconds.

I was instructed to push at every contraction and I did.

After half a hour of pushing and intense pain, I could hear a loud and piercing cry. The pain instantly faded and I shut my eyes out of exhaustion as tears streamed down my face.

"Congratulations, it's a baby girl!" One of the nurses said.

The nurse cleaned her up and handed her to me.

Holding the small little human in my arms while looking at her, made me smile and cry at the same time. I couldn't explain the happiness that I felt.

 I couldn't explain the happiness that I felt

MATTHEW

When I arrived at the door of Christines room, I could hear a baby crying and Monica cheering.

I took a deep breath before entering the room, scared for the fact that the baby might not be mine.

Christine noticed a presence and looked up. Her face instantly went white. Her hair was all scuffed up and she was all covered in sweat. She looked like a mess.

"What are you doing here?" She shielded the baby.

"Is it a baby girl or boy?" I walked towards her.

"A girl." Monica said as she was about to leave the room. "I'll be in the hallway. Christine, just say the word, ok?" She said before left.

"Is she– Is she mine?" I asked softly.

"Stop, Matthew. Go away." Her weak voice trailed off.

"Just answer the question." I grabbed her arm with a strong grip.

"You are hurting me!" Christine weakly tried to free her arm but failed.

I took a glimpse of the baby. A small round face with dark brown hair, hazelnut eyes and a small nose and mouth. Her little movements slowly warmed my heart.