chapter three- wings

Chapter three-feathers

I'm dancing with feathers, and wings, again. This time they are attached to humanoid figures, but features are clouded by veils of smoke. The smoke rises, and falls. The whispers turn into laughter, and laughter into screams. I feel hands all around me. They begin to soar upward, into the clouds.

"Kaiya," they whisper. "Kaiya."

I'm back into the marbled pavilion from my previous dream. I feel an eerie calm, a tranquility if you will. The creatures spin and dance around me, making my head feel fuzzy.

I want to follow them. In a quick moment, the winged people are gone. The scene fades to a black night, blacker than obsidian. I look around for the creatures, but they are nowhere to be found. Disappeared into the night. I'm left alone, surrounded by fallen feathers. I look up, and see a man. As he comes closer I notice one chilling feature:

His eyes are hollowed  out.

I shout and crawl backwards, desperate to get away from the man without eyes. He makes a croaking noise, like a creature out of silent hill. He comes towards me, his hand extended. I try to push back, but a force blocks me.

I am left staring at the man with no eyes. Dread fills me as I look into where his eyeballs should be. There's just black, bottomless pits. If misery was a person, this is what I'm sure it would look like. I desperately want to get away.

The man reached my face and -

I gasp awake, once more. I'm drenched in sweat. It's three-thirty in the morning, on the Monday after Jax's and I's date... thing. I decide against going back to sleep, for fear of what I might dream about. I make my way downstairs, and make some coffee. I quietly nudge the backdoor open, and take a seat outside. The frigged cold air feels good against my hot skin. I breath in the noises of the early morning. Select birds chirp, the rustle of tree branches in the wind, and the sound of my own heartbeat in my chest.

I picture the man with no eyes. I cannot fathom how my subconscious came up with that. I begin to wonder if I should look into these dreams more. Recurring dreams must mean something significant, and at this point they're making sleeping harder. That can't be good for my stress levels.

I sit there for god-knows-how long, until my phone starts beeping for my usual alarm. I quietly tread up the stairs, and prepare myself for the day ahead. I wonder what Jax will say to me. I'm still hoping this isn't some weird ass prank. Despite my better knowledge, I am dangerously attracted to Jax. Intrigued, even.

"How'd you sleep?" Aunt Lily asks.

"Eh," I respond, vaguely. "Could be better."

"Any bad dreams?" she asks.

You could say that. "No, just restless."

I look over at my Aunt. She was young, only about forty-five, though she never really told me her true age. I did some estimating on how old she was. She only ever once mentioned I came to her in her twenties. Her face is defined ever-so-slightly by lines, the only reveal that she's above the age of thirty.

"You can tell me anything, Kaiya. You know that, right?"

"I know." I say, and give her a smile. I feel bad keeping all this stuff from her. Somethings are better left unknown, though.

"Have a good day at school, angel." She says, sweetly.

"Thanks, Aunt Lily."

I practically run out of the house. The drive to school was long. I finally reach the parking lot, and almost as soon as a step out Lana rushes to my side. "So, how was it?"