FOURTEEN.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Precious Cargo

____

Adrenaline pumped through Sebastian's veins, pain shooting up his legs with every step he took. He dodged trees and logs, stumbling over himself to keep up with the sprint of Finn in front. But every direction they ran, a Grounder was there to cut them off.

He was so focused on not tripping that he didn't notice when the group suddenly came to a halt, he ran straight into Finn, who didn't even flinch.

"I'm sick of running," Bellamy mumbled, turning abruptly to the direction they were running from. "They know where she is!"

Roma's shrill voice called out, running further into the forest. "Diggs, where are you?" Sebastian groaned in annoyance as everyone went after her. All he could do was follow. But he didn't like what he found.

Sebastian stared at the sight before him with numb eyes, Digg's lifeless ones staring back. His body held up by something the Grounders constructed as a weapon. Blood dripped down his chin at a steady pace. He was impaled. 

Digg was dead, but all they could do was go after Roma.

"Roma," Sebastian called out, catching sight of her shoulder sticking out behind a tree trunk. He knew before he saw what Roma's fate ultimately was, but that didn't prepare him for the giant spear through her chest. Sebastian felt his stomach drop in remorse, watching Bellamy close her eyes gently. He knew by Bellamy's face alone that the boy blamed himself for the death.

"They can kill us whenever they want," Finn hissed, swallowing hard and looking anywhere but the open cavity of Roma's chest. None of them expected anything remotely close to the struggle they've faced when they were dropping down from the Ark. Sure, the earth was habitable, but at what cost? Sometimes, it was better to die than go through something as fucked up as a grounder war. 

"Well then, they should get it over with!" Jasper snapped, voice rising into a shriek much to Finn's distaste. "Come on!" Sebastian slapped a hand on his mouth, cutting off the screams that would lead the Grounder to them.

"They're coming!" Monroe shouts, pointing to one of the enormous Grounders sprinting towards the group. Before he realizes what he's doing, Sebastian's hand is closing around the neck of the mace on Jasper's belt. Ready to pull it out and start beating on men twice his size, but before he could, the shrill shriek of a horn sounded throughout the forest. 

"That horn, what does it mean?" Jasper questioned, watching the Grounder retreat.

Finn emptied his backpack out on the ground, letting an orange tent fall out. "Acid fog."