Our Terebithia

• Dedicated to Sammi

Approaching the tree, I pulled myself up the wooden rungs and into the tree house. Kiera climbed up after me, sitting cross-legged next to me.

“So,” I started. “We need to set up.”

“Right, we need to get the table down to the ground.” Kiera pointed out.

“Uh…” I said, scratching my head. “We could lower it down?”

“Great idea.” Kiera said, rolling her eyes.

“So… we use some rope?”

“Sure.”

I got up and rummaged around in my trunk in the corner. We all had a trunk, filled with things we kept in the tree house. I came up empty-handed and turned around to see Kiera tying a rope to one of the tables legs.

“Where did that come from?” I asked.

“The shelf above where you were sitting.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot there was rope there.”

Kiera face-palmed. “You’re an idiot.”

“Hey! I’m so not!” I argued.

She looked at me flatly. “You spend half an hour popping bubble wrap while laughing whenever you get your hands on some.”

“…”

“Am I right?” she asked.

“… yes…”

“See, I am always right.” She said mater-of-factly.

“No your not!” I exclaimed.

“Okay, maybe not but let me bask in my moment of being right!”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“We should probably get that table down.” I suggested.

“Your right.” She agreed, nodding.

We spent the next ten minutes attempting to get the table out of the tree house.

“How did we get this thing up here to begin with?” Kiera panted.

“I think we had Ren’s help... and Mia’s…and Sammi’s… and Terry’s.” I suggested.

We finally got it down by shoving it through the door sideways and lowering it over the little porch thing to the grass below.

“That was an unnecessarily painful process.” Kiera said.

“I second that.” I agreed.

After a couple more minutes of lying there, we got up and started hanging up the decorations.

“Wait!” I yelled.

“What?” Kiera asked.

I didn’t answer. I turned and climbed back up into the tree house.

“We forgot music!” I said, putting my iPod into the iHome we kept up there in a waterproof box when not being used.

“There.” I said as ‘Animal’ by neon trees started playing.

I climbed down and we went to decorate.

Kiera scrambled up a tree and taped one end of the light blue crepe paper to a branch and then she threw the other end to me, a couple of trees away. I then wrapped it around a branch and waited as she climbed into another tree, then threw it to her. She then wrapped it around a branch and I climbed into different tree.