A Fight in the Square

After changing into the attire which I would wear that evening I felt the need for a breath of freedom. A breath of life outside of the responsibilities and decisions which I had to endure. Only two people could grant me what I needed at this very moment and that was Mercutio and Benvolio. So I left the Escalus manor and headed into the bustling streets of market day.

As I walked in search of one of the two people I longed for most at this moment I noticed servants of both the houses of Capulet and Montague. I feared that they would meet and quarrel which would endanger all in the square. Especially if their masters became involved. 

Finally, I found Benvolio and I became overjoyed. "Benvolio!"I called as I approached him.

"Alessandra! How are you on this day?"

"I am better now that I found you, yet I fear I could be better still."

"Whatever could be troubling you?"

"Tybalt was at the Escalus estate earlier."

"Whatever could he be doing there?"

"He was there to ask my father for my hand in marriage."

"Oh, "Benvolio looked down in disappointment. "And what did your father say?"

I took a deep breath preparing myself, "My father accepted. I am to be wed to Tybalt this Wednesday."

"But that's only three days away!"

"Indeed it is. In three days' time, I shall be a Capulet and I fear that I will no longer be able to see you as I do now. Oh, how I wish my parents hadn't chosen sides, for I long to be with you with all my heart!"

"As I wish the same as well. My heart has longed for you since the day we met."

We both looked down solemnly as we both knew that our hopes of being together were now gone. That is unless some miracle happened which would cause the path in which events were currently following to change.

Finally, Benvolio perked up, "I have an idea!"

"Whatever could that idea be? Certainly, nothing could change our situation in this current state."

"You doubt us. What if I went to your father and requested your hand in marriage."

"I doubt my father would change his mind. My parents were practically waiting for Tybalt to come and ask for my hand."

"But you have said that this event has just come to pass."

"However could the timing of this event help influence your plan to work?"

"There wouldn't be any wedding plans in action as of late. Therefore, if I went today or tomorrow there is still a chance that your father could change his mind."

"Do you really believe this will work, Benvolio?"

Benvolio gently cupped my face in his hands and I looked into his gentle eyes as he said, "There is always a chance for everything. Even for us."

I smiled up at him as he did the same towards me. I felt as if I was in another trance yet again. Now I truly didn't know how I wanted this to turn out. This moment of peace didn't last long though for the servants had as a matter of fact met and were now quarreling with rapiers in play.  Both Benvolio and I ran over as he unsheathed his rapier in order to attempt to stop the fight.

"Part, fools! Put up your swords! You know not what you do! The Prince hath expressly forbid this bandying in Verona's streets!" Benvolio boomed as everyone stopped their fighting.

That is until someone shouted, "Here come the Capulets!"

Everyone's attention turned in the direction in which the man had pointed. There leading a group of men adorned in an array of varied shades of red and gold was the very man I was to marry in three days' time if Benvolio's plan didn't work. Tybalt Capulet.