Epilogue

-Two days later-

"You're such an idiot."

"It slipped my mind okay?"

"What do you mean it slipped your mind!? Now your life is on the line again!!! It's worse than before, do you have any idea how much that hurts to hear? You should start understanding the situations you get stuck and learn how to avoid it in the future!"

This wasn't good. Alec and Magnus were fighting. With the kids in the car. Listening.

"Well I'm sorry," Magnus complained, "didn't realise that four months of medication and no signs meant I was all fine and dandy! I tried to take them anyway, I just happened to sleep before I had the chance to take one."

"It's still your own damn fault! If you hadn't stopped taking them in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess."

It was true, Alec was being the reasonable one but with slight exaggeration. The truth was that Magnus had gotten sick of taking the pills and decided to gradually take himself off the prescription; and with no pain while doing so, being an idiot he thought himself as in the clear, never telling Alec a word of this. Now, Magnus would have to walk with one crutch.

The cancer had originally begun in the pelvis muscle, not seeming to make much notice until the middle of one saucy session between them on their last honeymoon night, then Alec got all stressed and gave himself a blood clot in the lung that required surgery. They were thankful it was on the last day, but it wasn't a nice place to begin their new life together as a newly-wed couple.

Though after a few months or so, the cancer disappeared... Or so they thought. Now, Magnus was right in thinking he was clear but some lone cancer cells had made their way into his upper thigh and was slowly spreading in all directions. It wasn't terminal yet, if they had caught it even just a few days later then it may have been too late so Magnus was hanging onto the last thread of immortality to carry on going. He was strong, but what about now? Now he has much more to live for, can he make it?

"Well, Magnus, can you?" Alec was speaking his mind aloud now, clearly becoming panicked.

Magnus sighed. "Please can we continue this at home? Now is not the appropriate place." He glanced in the mirror, seeing Staria's reflection in her window. She was looking out of it, watching the scenery fly by but whether she had been paying attention or not wasn't clear.

"You know what? Fine. Just fine. Just have to make sure you survive the trip home."

"Alec!" Magnus scolded, feeling actually hurt by the comment. "How could you..?" Alec shrugged.

The rest of the journey was spent in silence. No one said a single word. The only sound were the cars driving in the opposite direction or the occasional beeping of a horn at crossings. Their car engine was silent, so when they stopped in traffic it created an awkward atmosphere. Zac completely oblivious to the situation, happily playing with a Lightning McQueen car in his booster seat; Staria had been listening, but she had attempted distraction by making a song about all the different colours of cars that passed. Magnus was scared, scared of Alec. He was never scared of Alec. He'd never really seen this side of him, they never expressed anger around each other since they got back together except the occasional small argument over dinner or how Magnus never tidied away his glitter make-up. Alec just sat I'm his own silent anger, eyes fixed on the road, hands gripped tightly round the steering wheel. He looked ready to hit something.

~*~

When they got home Alec stormed straight up to the house, unlocked it and went upstairs to their bedroom, slamming the door shut. "I'll carry Zac for you, papa." Staria offered.