Wait For Me

⏳ 2016  

⏳ 2016  

I watched the doctors check Bucky over, examining his vital signs and his metal nub of what the signature Winter Soldier arm used to be

It had been two months since we ran. Two months since we broke the Avengers out of the Raft. Two months since...

They others hadn't taken it well, especially Wanda. She didn't speak a word to anyone for almost two weeks. Sam had tried to keep a brave face for my sake, but even I could see that he was struggling. So was I.

As the doctors let Bucky be for a minute or two, it was time for me to say goodbye. "You sure about this?"

Bucky took a deep breath. "I can't trust my own mind." He looked up at me. "So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head...I think going back under is the best thing." He smirked weakly. "For everybody."

I understood where he was coming from. As the last of HYDRA's Super Soldier, he was still a threat. If someone got their hands on that book and those words, the Winter Soldier would cause chaos. Bucky was right. It was best for everyone if he went under, at least until we figured out how to cure him; to get him back to normal. And I would find a way to do that.

He nudged me. "You gonna be okay?'

I clenched my jaw before plastering on a brave face. "Yeah."

I glanced over at Astra and Gilliam standing silently by the second cryogenic tube. The one that held her frozen body where Bucky was soon to go too.

I wasn't giving up on her. I was going to save her. I was going to find a way to get her back. There had to be a way, and I was going to find it.

I watched Bucky climb into the cryopod. He shot me one more smile before closing his eyes and embracing the ice. Soon he would be placed deep down into the catacombs of this place where he would be safe. And she would go too. Not yet. But soon.

I moved to the window and looked out into the expansive distance before me. I felt her aura before she arrived beside me. Her hair had grown out to her shoulders, so different from the short, sharp look she had when I first met her. She looked kinder with long hair, but her purple eyes spoke differently about that demeanour. She still retained the glaring eyes of a woman on a mission. Resolute.