☑ #9: Get A Tattoo

Jane and Brody didn’t know about Blue’s bucket list, and she wasn’t planning on telling them about it. Most likely they would get angry that she brought up her death. There were two different kinds of people in the world: those who thought before hand and those who would cross the bridge when they got there. Blue’s best friends both happened to fall under the latter category. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that. Anyway, she didn’t want to interrupt their fairytale lives and it had been only a miracle that the two weird, arguing kids she had chosen to befriend on the first day of first grade had been the two that could ignore the fact that she was in the process of dying. It [partially] restored her faith in humanity.

                At the moment they were fighting over what music to blast from the iPod sitting between them. Brody was the closet hipster who twisted his nose up at the slightest mention of the radio, and Jane was the girl who listened to everything (including the radio and—God forbid—pop music).

                “We should listen to OneRepublic,” the girl scowled at the boy, who grimaced.

                “But they got so mainstream!” Brody whined and Blue watched in amusement as Jane did a face plant on the cafeteria table.

                “Please tell your dumbfuck for a best friend to get his head out of the closet already,” came her muffled plead directed at Blue. She would have mentioned the fact that Brody was also Jane’s dumbfuck for a best friend, but thought against it for the better. When Brody’s hand started inching towards the device wedged between Jane’s arm and the table, she whacked it away without even looking. He recoiled and Blue cheered, to which he responded to by flipping her the bird.

***

                “So…let me get this straight.” Oliver steered the cart around a weirdly familiar-looking, short kid running through the store with his tiny arms filled with Cars 2 merchandise. “You want to get stabbed by a needle repeatedly because it’s on the bucket list you wrote when you were thirteen?”

                “Correct,” Blue affirmed, grabbing the can of tuna he had pointed at. Earlier that day, when she had been bored and found it the perfect time to complete the next task on her list, she had gone outside expecting to have to knock on her partner in crime’s door. Much to her surprise and delight, Oliver had already been at his parked car with his keys pointed at it, making it chirp to life. When she announced that she was ready to do the next thing on the paper he had just jutted a finger to the passenger seat and ordered her to get in. He was going grocery shopping and she would help him, he said. So now they were at Walmart and Blue was helping him shop and Oliver was listening to her idea[s].

  #1: Hug the first person I see on the streets

#2: Sleep under the stars (no tent or anything; just on the grass)

#3:Learn to play the piano

#4: Go skinny-dipping

#5: Trespassing and have a picnic there

#6: Finish a book under an hour

#7: Go to a concert

#8: Get drunk