Chapter Two

Anna had stayed outside for the rest of the day, not wanting to have to face either her father or the Director like she knew she would have to if she went back inside. She was half surprised that her father hadn't come outside to talk to her about her actions yet. The afternoon was well over and evening was turning to night.
When she had stopped crying and had calmed down enough to be able to think over the days events rationally, the more Anna thought about the situation, the more terrified she became. For one reason or another, she was supposed to get married to Director Krennic. However, the Director himself had never told her this, nor had Anna's father told her either. She had overheard the two discussing the matter, without Anna being present. Why? Anna had no idea. After all it was her life, and Anna thought that she should get at least some say in it. What was even all the more so puzzling was what the Director had said to her. True, he had told her to go rot in a prison cell, but that response Anna deemed normal under the circumstance. After all, now that she was able to look at the situation logically, she had provoked him with her harsh words. But that wasn't it. It was something that he had said before that; that she had put herself in the situation.
Are you so stupid, that you would refuse what's so easily right in front of you?
Anna wondered what the Director had meant. It was possible that Director Krennic had meant that Anna should just accept the offer to marry him and not to argue about it. That for some reason her father had made the arrangement and Anna should just listen to him.
  Unfortunately, Anna was not that naive. And she had a sinking feeling that somehow she knew that her present situation wasn't ever that simple.

"I already told you father, I'm going to apply to the academy."
  "Yes. In two years. But what are you going to do before that?"
  "Spend time with my friends, spend time with you, hang around the house, go into the city-"
  "And academically?" Jackal Richmond asked cutting his daughter off.
"I'm applying to the academy."
"Before that, Anna. What are you going to do before that? You are not going to just lay around the house for two years and do nothing."
"But I'm not!" Anna tried in vain to convince her father otherwise.
"Then you're getting a job, some extra schooling?"
"Father!" Anna sighed in exasperation.
"No Anna. There's no negotiating around this." Jackal sighed and sat down on the couch with his daughter. "Under the laws of the Empire, even though you're finished with basic schooling, you're still required to take some form of advanced learning."
"But-"
"Even if you're going to join the ranks of the Imperial military in two years. You must still keep busy before then, whether it be at a job or advanced schooling. There could be consequences Anna,..."

Consequences...

  Anna was brought back to reality when she heard someone walking toward her down to the end of the dock. Reluctantly, she turned her body around to see who it was. Thankfully it was Anna's father, who Anna decided was the least worst option out of the two possible obvious choices.
  Jackal Richmond sat down next to his daughter with his legs over the edge of the end of the dock. Neither father nor daughter spoke for a long time. Anna stared out across the water toward the lights from the city waiting for the reprimand from her father that never came. Instead Jackal put an arm around his daughter and pulled her close.
  "Am I in trouble?" Anna asked Jackal Richmond, not daring to look up at her father. Anna was met with silence, and then a sigh. Minutes passed.
  "No." Jackal finally answered his daughter. Anna looked up at her father, and Jackal Richmond gave Anna a sad smile. Another sigh. "I'm not mad at you. And you're not in trouble. I can't say as much for the Director though." Anna sniffed and tried not to cry, then she looked away and then nodded slowly.
"Why were you talking about it? Why did you say I have to marry him?" Her father wrapped his arms around Anna and sighed. When Jackal Richmond finally spoke, he chose his words carefully. His voice was barely a whisper.
"I'm sorry. There was no other choice."
"What do you mean?" Anna asked, again trying to keep her tears at bay.
"It was your choice Anna. You chose certain actions that produced consequences."
"I don't understand."
"When you refused to pursue some form of advanced learning after you finished school," Her fathers voice cracked. Anna had never seen him so distraught before, not even when her mother had died, she began to cry silently, a single tear rolled down her cheek. "They want to put you in prison, Anna. Do you know what that would mean? You would be forced to do work in a labor camp! I would never see you again."
  So that was it. That was what the Director had meant when he told her that he wouldn't care if she rot in prison. At that moment Anna cried harder then she ever had in eighteen years. The mystery was solved, yet there was one more question.
  "S s s so s s so so w w where d d does m marrying h h him h him-" Jackal Richmond held his daughter tight.
  "That's your way out."
  "W w what?"
  "Shhh." Her father said as he picked Anna up and carried her inside. Jackal Richmond carried his daughter upstairs to her room and laid her on her bed. "Tomorrow." He promised softly as Anna calmed down enough to let exhaustion from the days events wash over her and let sleep over take her.

More of our favorite Director up next!