001. ALLIANCES

001─ ALLIANCES.

         ONE THING WAS FOR CERTAIN ─ CALYPSO SILAS UTTERLY DESPISED HER FIRST NAME

         ONE THING WAS FOR CERTAIN  CALYPSO SILAS UTTERLY DESPISED HER FIRST NAME. She didn't exactly know why she had a strong hatred for the name that defined her, but it was most likely tied to the way her parents would spit it out at her when she was in trouble or the harsh words that always seemed to trail after it. Everyone simply knew her as Silas, and she was more than willing to correct someone every time her first name slipped from their lips-- either purposely or on accident. But openly being known as a Silas, a name that held a bitter and negative connotation, steered everyone clear from her anyways.

   "Silas . . ." Head of the Ark, Chancellor Jaha, finally corrected himself after having muttered her first name around a hundred times. Silas couldn't hold back the scoff of amusement, as she folded her arms over her chest, sinking down into her seat. Jaha's eyes held disappointment, but not surprise, not even an ounce. The only thing that was remotely surprising was that she hadn't been in this predicament sooner. "Tell me exactly what happened."

   The troublesome girl knew this day would come sooner or later, part of her wished it would've been before her eighteenth birthday, so then she might've had the chance to not be sucked into never-ending oblivion over something she never had a choice in. For once in her life, Silas felt intimidated. It was like all the air in her lungs was stuck, a pounding of discomfort in her chest.

   "Someone locked me in there, I swear!" The lie flowed off her tongue smoothly, even though it was anything but believable. She raised her hands in the air, before slamming them back onto the table for dramatic effect. She watched the man before her sigh deeply, tired of the spew of lies that had been tumbling out of her mouth the past fifteen minutes. Her first story was that she was sleepwalking, which turned into her saying that she was hiding from a murderer to now saying someone had locked her into there. Everything but the truth. The simple truth that wouldn't dare come out of her mouth.

   "As convincing as that sounds," Jaha trailed off, the sarcasm evident in his tone. "I have guards searching your family's living quarters, so whatever you are hiding, we'll find out." A deafening and uncomfortable silence followed his words, the tension in the room becoming overwhelming to the girl. She gnawed on her thumbnail, her foot tapping anxiously against the ground. No matter how hard she tried, keeping her composure was borderline impossible at that time. Any moment, guards were going to swarm into the room, giving the Chancellor all he needed to send the eighteen-year-old girl to the airlock chamber.

   "If you really think about it, sending a teenager to their death is really inhumane." She muttered, pursing her lips together. She watched the look in his eyes shift slightly, an emotion she couldn't quite pick up on filling them. He didn't bother to respond to her statement, filling the room with an overbearing silence once again. "I heard your son set the last tree on fire. Are you gonna send him to his death as well?" The question immediately made the Chancellor's shoulders tense at the mention of his son, Wells ─ part of him wondering how she would even know that information, to begin with. "Hell, he can join me if he wants. It would be nice to have some company before my head combusts in the open atmosphere."