Chapter 1

Your P.O.V

My eyes slowly fluttered open after a weird yet terrifying dream I had. I had dreamt about being in the torture chamber again, and I hated that place with a passion as hot as the sun.

With a shudder, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and looked over my shoulder. It was still dark outside, but there was a faint sliver of sun on the horizon, signifying it was close to morning.

I sighed and stood up, hoping to leave the town before day came. I couldn't be too careful. My red armor probably made them suspicious of me already, and I wanted to leave before they could corner and capture me.

The walk to my door was short, and before I exited the room, I grabbed my bow and arrows. After slinging them around my torso, I was off.

In order to remain quiet and unseen, I leapt from rooftop to rooftop, and even tree to tree. Good thing Phoenix Drop has so many visitors, cause if they didn't, there wouldn't be near as many buildings for me to jump across.

But as I made my way to the wall, my ears caught the faint sound of talking nearby. Probably someone having a conversation... I should probably-

"... Zane..."

I froze as the name entered my eardrums, and I whipped around. The sound was coming from a nearby house, so I rushed towards it before perching on the roof and crouching to hear the two men talking.

"... anyways, what I'm trying to say Dante, is that I've never read any sort of book or archived letter that talks about shadow knights being able to sense other shadow knights over vast distances. And besides, even if the girl you met from earlier is a shadow knight, there's no way to be certain and we'll need more help if we want to capture her." A nerdy sounding voice explained.

I growled, realizing the blue haired guard probably noticed who I was the second he saw me.

"I know Kenmur, but we need to look at the facts. He took Emmalyn, and that means he couldn't have gone that far. It's only been two days and he had to carry an entire human being. He's probably still nearby and if that's the case she could probably sense him." The 'Dante' guy added.

This made me softly gasp. So Zane's been here recently... and he kidnapped someone? He's just as crazy as the stories say.

I sighed and realized I had heard enough of what they were saying, and I made my way to the wall to finally leave this place.

-+~•~+-

After officially exiting the village, I began to look around to try and see if I could find anything of use.

So they've been looking around this place for weeks huh? Where's someplace a shadow knight could hide an entire human being, a supply of information like books, scrolls, and what not, and any other need for proper living...

I pondered the question for a moment, coming up with multiple answers but knowing which to try. A treehouse? Probably not, he'd need more time to build something like that. A cave? Maybe, but he might get lost in one, which is definitely not something he'd want to have happen. A nearby village? Maybe Bright Port. That place is just bustling with activity, it'd be super easy to blend right in given the proper clothing and excuse.

After thinking about all three, a cave seemed most probable.

There are tons of small caves in the forest that aren't large enough to get lost in, but not too small that you can't hole up inside. And from the stories I heard, he tries to avoid social interaction if possible, and he just didn't seem like someone to build a bloody treehouse.