seven

Baekhyun sat in the waiting room of the intensive care unit. It had been approximately an hour since Chanyeol had been wheeled away from him to be tested and examined while he was still unconscious. All Baekhyun could do was sit.

Sit and wait.

His knee was bouncing up and down uncontrollably, annoying a few of the other people inside the waiting room, but he never stopped.

"Is there any relative or friend of Park Chanyeol?" A young, what looked like trainee, nurse called out into the stuffy room. Baekhyun's head shot up as he called out to the nurse, gaining her attention.

"I am! Is he okay?" He asked, walking up to her. The nurse nodded.

"Yes sir, he's right this way, if you would like to follow me please." She spoke, her voice gentle and calming.

Baekhyun wanted to smile, he wanted to laugh and hug the nurse tightly, thanking her for making sure that the only person that he really cared about was okay, but he couldn't. He had no idea what he was going to see when he walked into Chanyeol's room. He had no idea about what state he would be in. All he knew was that he was alive.

They were approaching the white doors that led to Chanyeol's room. Baekhyun began to shake. He wouldn't know how to react when he saw Chanyeol. He wouldn't know what to say.

He nervously followed the nurse through the doors and stared at the bed in the corner of the room. Chanyeol lay on the bed, his eyes closed and his body still, apart from the gentle rise and fall of his chest.

Baekhyun let out a sigh of relief and walked past the nurse, going up to Chanyeol and holding his hand, a small smile plastered on his face.

"I'm so glad that you're okay." He whispered and gripped the hand tighter, still staring down at the younger.

"Will he be here for long or can he go home soon?" He looked away from the sleeping boy and over to the nurse, who was looking through some papers on a clipboard.

"Uh— let me check—" she said, looking intently and flicking through a few more papers on the clipboard before smiling in satisfaction, "okay so, good news, he will be discharged tomorrow, we will discuss this further when he wakes up again. The poor boy was so tired."

Baekhyun sadly squeezed Chanyeol's hand, clenching it lightly.

"What's the bad news?" He asked, his nerves building up once more.

"He's going to have to keep coming back every now and then so that we can keep an eye on him. As much as we would like to keep him here, we figured that he would be a lot more calm at home. I could arrange home visits instead if you would like?" The nurse said, grabbing a pen from her clean white uniform.

Home. Baekhyun thought. He doesn't even have a home anymore, how could we arrange a home visit if he has nowhere to stay?

The nurse took his uncomfortable silence as a no and gave him the dates for Chanyeol's check up appointments, walking out the room after telling him that she'd be back later for when Chanyeol wakes up again.

Baekhyun's phone rang in his back pocket. He fished it out and looked at the caller ID.

CALLING: Mrs.Park

He answered, only to be greeted with Mrs Park's distressed voice.

"What's happened to my Chanyeol?! The neighbor just called me and Minji isn't picking up her phone. Baekhyun, is he with you!?" The faint beeping of the heart monitor from the end of the line answered her question.

"Baekhyun, what did he do?" She asked, her voice quivering.

Baekhyun didnt know what to say. He didnt want to stress the elder woman too much yet he had to tell the truth.

"Minji's kicked him out, Mrs Park. She--- she wasn't very nice to the both of us and Chanyeol--- Chanyeol, he didn't--- he didnt take it well." He said. After that, he heard the phone go silent.

Mrs Park hung up on him.

He stood still for a while, the phone still connected to his ear until he heard quiet rustling from behind him, followed by a small voice.

"Baekhyun hyung? What am I doing here..?"