Chapter 5

The next morning Mirabelle went downstairs to read again while Sahara redid all of her chores plus some new ones like gathering food. That night was the same as before with no talking while eating then falling asleep right after. This went on for a couple more days until Sahara went after Mirabelle and slammed her book shut.

"What?" Mirabelle demanded.

"I want your help in some of the chores. I have let you read down here every day since you arrived. It's time you pull your fair share of work." Sahara ordered. She was not letting this go on any longer.

"Fine. I guess I have been kind of lazy." Mirabelle agreed.

"Yes, you have." Sahara teased but with a hint of truth behind it.

"So what do you want me to do first?" Mirabelle asked.

"I don't know. Let's go see." Sahara responded. So both girls went to the main rooms and decided that they would do the chores together today and then make a chart stating which chores would be done by whom for a certain day. Sahara had a lot more fun doing chores with someone and Mirabelle felt better now that she was getting a little bit of exercise.

Life was good on the island. The days were always sunny, the night were cool, so many books, fair food and plenty of it, and a friend. But of course Mirabelle couldn't stay. She had a quest to complete and some days she would realize that she had some of her memories that she got back were fulfilling their purpose of making her want to complete the quest.

"Do you have a boat?" Mirabelle asked Sahara one day.

"I have a dingy but it's not in great shape." Sahara replied curiously. "Why do you ask?"

"Well I am actually on a quest to find my father and my memories and even though I love it here so much I kind of need to get going." Mirabelle told Sahara sadly.

"Oh. I see." Sahara said, disappointed.

"No, No! It's not that. I love it here. I love being here with you. But I have to get my memories back and my father." Mirabelle said, trying to get Sahara to understand.

"Couldn't you just forget about the quest and stay here with me. It's ever so lonely." Sahara was trying to get Mirabelle to understand how she felt.

"No, I can't, I'm sorry. Why don't you come with me?" exclaimed Mirabelle. It would be so wonderful to have another friend on the quest, especially after losing Nivana, Mirabelle thought.

"I don't know. I've never really traveled before. I don't want to be a burden if I get home sick or something." Sahara was trying to hide something. She was trying to wiggle out of going because she had a secret. Mirabelle didn't know how she knew this but she knew she was right. Mirabelle wasn't very subtle so she just blurted it out.

"What are you hiding?" She asked.

"What?!" Sahara was startled.

"You don't want to come with me because you have a secret. What are you hiding from me?" Mirabelle questioned her further.

"I... I. Nothing. You wouldn't understand." Sahara's voice cracked and faded.

"Try me." Mirabelle said kindly, coaxing Sahara to tell her. So Sahara gave in and told Mirabelle her story.

"I wasn't born here, you see. I'm not sure exactly where I was born but it wasn't here. I was born in the Bermuda triangle somewhere on a rocky beach. All the girls in my family could sing beautifully and harmoniously. The boys stayed home and did chores while the girls went to school to learn things about beauty. Keeping your hair clean and silky, keeping your skin smooth, how to sing in tune, etc. I was young and bored so I went to my favorite solitary place. A little rock just off the rocky beaches of our island."