Chapter 4

The next morning Mirabelle woke up to find herself sitting against a tree trunk. Last night was hard remember and she got dizzy thinking about, but soon it all came back to her. Arthur and her being tied up, fighting the vampires, turning invisible, falling off the cliff. Wait she thought why aren't I dead? Thinking about it made her head hurt so she gave up trying. Then she remembered Arthur.

"Arthur! Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he called back "I'm okay, how about you?"

"I'm good, I think, but my head hurts really badly." Mirabelle complained.

"How did we survive that fall?"

"I think I can answer that." Mirabelle looked up and saw Braden standing there. Mirabelle gasped and Arthur's eyes widened as he backed away.

"Why are you here?" Mirabelle asked curiously and a little frightened at the same time.

"Well I did save you last night while you were falling to your death. You guys were heavy but I caught you both and directed you guys into a snowdrift."

"You did? Well I guess that explains how I'm alive but weren't you trying to kill us yesterday?" questioned Mirabelle.

"Truthfully I hate killing people. Actually I'm not even a full vampire yet, I haven't taken my first sip of human blood to make me a full vampire."

"Well then thank you for saving us. I hope you don't get in trouble for helping us out."

"I won't, well for a while at least, because I'm coming with you," said Braden

"Thanks for the offer but we're good. We don't need your help," contradicted Mirabelle.

"I think you do considering you're a witch who doesn't know how to control her powers and you're traveling with a mortal."

"I'm not a witch, what are you talking about"

"Listen I'm a vampire. I can smell these sorts of things. You're a witch. How else would you have found your way out of the cave or had Arthur appear next to you or have yourself disappear."

"I don't know. Luck? Wishes? Who cares but the only thing that's true is that I'm not a witch."

"Fine you're not a witch but tell me when you think of a good explanation for what just happened."

"Mirabelle how about you just back away slowly and maybe we can still escape," Arthur managed still petrified with fear at the sight of the vampire.

"Arthur its okay, this vampire is friendly, well he won't drink your blood anyway. I do have one question for you though, Braden."

"What's that?"

"How come you're not burning up even though the sun is shining directly on you?"

"Well like I said earlier, I'm not a full vampire so even though I sunburn easily I don't turn to ashes like real vampires."

"Oh! Well I guess that's an upside to not being a full vampire."

"I guess but it also just makes you stand out more."

"Mirabelle you're chatting with the enemy!"

"Arthur he's not the enemy. His brothers are though."

"I won't deny that. They picked a perfect spot and used magic on it so that you can easily get up but you'll fall to your deaths getting down," Braden said sadly, "I'm the youngest at 16 but because I refuse to drink human blood I have very little magic of my own. Just the magic every vampire gets. Super strength, flying, changing into a bat and super speed."