Chapter 6

The kids set out again, Mirabelle's stomach was fuller that it had been in a while but her feet ached after all that walking. Again Gavin walked fast taking sharp turns. When Mirabelle had asked him where they were going he had replied 'to the other side of town'. Mirabelle had frowned at that. At one point of their walk Mirabelle had spotted Sahara, so she grabbed Gavin and pulled him into an alleyway.

"What!" Gavin whispered furiously.

"See that girl over there with the light reddish-brown hair and fiery green eyes?"

"Ya." Gavin said.

"Well she thinks I'm dead and I can't let her know that I'm alive." Mirabelle explained. Gavin nodded not understanding about half of what was going on.

"What do you want me to do?" He asked.

"Is there another route that can lead us away from the bay but still towards where we are going?" Mirabelle questioned.

"Ya." Gavin answered.

"Then show me!" Mirabelle gave him a little shove and Gavin stumbled forward then started walking faster in the same direction they had just come from. Mirabelle quickly followed keeping her head down. Gavin made a large circle around some buildings passing the place where Mirabelle had spotted Sahara while doing so. Mirabelle kept up as well as she could. After they were about a mile away from that part of the bay, Mirabelle felt like she could breathe again.

"What was that all about?" Gavin asked her.

"Well that girl and her friend are both possessed and are for some reason trying to kill me. Sahara, the one you just saw, shoved me off a boat into the water when a giant shark was chasing us. I barely managed to escape but she thought I was either drowned or got eaten but I would be dead either way." Mirabelle explained to Gavin.

"Oh," was all Gavin could say. That silenced both of them for a while, each of them lost in thought about friends betraying and killing you. Gavin cast a side glance at Mirabelle wondering if she would do that, but he didn't think so because 1, she just told him what had happened to her which was like telling an opponent your battle plan and 2, she looked so miserable and betrayed that Gavin felt really bad for her.

As the sun started to set Gavin felt tired and one glance at Mirabelle told him that she was even more exhausted.

"Let's call it a night. We can get the supplies in the morning." Gavin said.

"Okay." Mirabelle replied without complaint. Gavin pulled out some blankets he had been in a pack since that morning. Mirabelle took one, walked up to a tree and curled up at the base of its trunk, between some roots. Mirabelle was asleep within seconds but Gavin had always struggled to sleep. He looked over at Mirabelle and thought it was funny how much she trusted him even though she had only known him for a short period of time. Especially because she had been betrayed by two of her best friends. Gavin's thoughts wandered and took him to memories of his own life.

Gavin had always been a loner. He had run away from home as a young child because his mother was so insane, always plotting ways to get back at this old man. Most plans included exposing him as bad and having him thrown in jail or killing his only child, his daughter. A girl Gavin's age. Finally Gavin couldn't take it anymore so he ran away. As Gavin fell asleep he dreamed of his mother's flaming green eyes chasing him through the woods. When he awoke, Mirabelle was already up, making breakfast.

"Well you seem to be feeling better." Gavin told her.

"Yeah. The weariness finally left my body." Mirabelle replied happily. Mirabelle remembered how every time she met someone new she would be tired and sleep forever. For the first time she felt refreshed after leaving her house.