These Emerald Waters

Throughout the aversive language of Hawke, Varric learned that snarky remarks were often masks for gratitude

Throughout the aversive language of Hawke, Varric learned that snarky remarks were often masks for gratitude. When she says, "Stop staring at my ass," she actually says, "Thank you, oh wonderfully handsome rogue of my heart." Sometimes he doubts how far his denial will go, but then he's met with new, surprising feats. Like Hawke's denial she's been in a coma for what feels like forever.

Her eyes burn a sea of fire before she leaps the giant crack as infinite as the Void. Hawke flashes a spell beneath her that launches her further upward, leaving a nearly-invisible stream of air behind her. Varric wavers and stops himself before following. He latches his eyes on her as he runs along the edge, toward Cassandra and Feynriel; so much for staying close. Hawke twirls her staff to point downward and braces for landing—and panics when there's no land beneath her feet. Varric yells her name—she plummets into the darkness, and all feeling in him follows. A puff of green breaks the shadow. Cole reappears, Hawke in arms. Relief rushes over, but Varric's legs turn jelly, and he barely makes it over, stumbling the last few meters.

"How could you think you can fly when you just hatched?" Cole says, smiling.

"I saw it in a puppet show once," Hawke says.

"Is this really the time?" Cassandra shouts.

"Hey, Varric, remember that time I just woke up, and skipped breakfast to go straight into that marathon? Yeah, me neither."

Feynriel casts a wave of fire and sends it away. Demons not immune panic and flee. "She's been in a dream state too long. She needs to recover and we need an exit!"

"Finally!" Cassandra says. "Let's—" She glances back, then glances again. She bores her eyes into Varric. "Where's your crossbow!?"

"Back there," he says. He snatches up his coat by her feet and rummages the pockets as he slips it on. A few grenades are left, his smoke pellets, some traps, but zero potions, including the misters.

"More on the way!" Solas shouts across the chasm.

He skids through the row of rage demons Hawke intended to overtake, leaving a streak of bright blue that freezes them in place. He stops just before Cassandra, spins around with arms raised, and drops a crushing force field and kills them all, then he trots behind the safety of her shield.