Chapter 1: Wind Alchemist

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange," I repeated to myself as I waited in the hall of East City Command. The anxiety of this alchemist exam made my stomach turn, and my head was starting to hurt. I just hoped that I would pass.

Hearing the door open I looked over to see one of the officers notifying me that it was time. Taking a deep breath, I walked into the room on shaky legs.

'This is what you wanted, (Y/N); remember that and you'll be fine."

Stopping in the center of the room, I looked around at the officers who had came to watch my display. One of them being Colonal Roy Mustang, who I have known as a family friend for a few years. My father worked with him for a little bit; under a year I think. Then once the Ishvalan War had started, ties were cut. I can't blame either of them though.

"Well? Show us what you can do, miss," one of the officers told me. He was holding a pad of paper and a pen. Seems like he'll be surveying me.

I'll show you what I can do alright. "May I have a glass of water?" Taking the glass from the man, I threw the water up before cupping my hands around my mouth and blowing on it to produce an icicle. It was easier having the circles on my hands rather than drawing it.

Catching it, I got a few gasps and murmers, making more nervous than I was before. The man took some notes, so I figured another one couldn't hurt. Swirling my hand around, I made a small tornado, tossing it between the palms of my hands. Again, got a few murmers. I had actually begun to feel proud of myself.

"I think we've seen enough," he stated, leaving the room with the other men. I gulped and looked up over where Mustang is. He gave me a small smile and a nod. Well that's reassuring, I suppose.

Walking out of the room, I took a deep sigh of relief. Looking down at the ground, I almost couldn't believe what just happened in there. It was almost like a vivid dream. I was so focused on the squeaky clean floors that I didn't even realize that someone had approached me.

"That was quite interesting, (Y/N)," I looked up to see Mustang standing beside me. "Never thought I'd see you trying out to be an alchemist."

"Neither did I," I said, thinking back to...,well, that part wasn't important.

"So your dad actually let you take the test?" he asked jokingly. Right, he doesn't know.

I paused and looked down at the ground. Biting my lip, I responded barely above a whisper. "He's dead."

The silence loomed over like a thick blanket, making the atmosphere more awkward yet grim. "I'm...sorry. It's been a while since I saw him." I accepted his condolances with a smile. And I agreed; it had been a while since I saw him.

"How did he pass?"

"My mom told me that he transferred himself to Briggs, and that he died in battle defending the fort," I explained with a hushed tone. My head still hung, looking at my feet and the sunlight bouncing off them through the window.

"Briggs, huh? He really was a tough fighter. You should be proud," Mustang contemplated aloud. I just gave a small nod.

"Well, what do I do now? How long will it take for them to assess me?" I asked, looking back up at him. I just wanted to get off the topic of my dad; seemed too personal and grim. He looked away with a thoughtful look.

"Not too long. Considering what you did in there, they should be done soon. It's not everyday we find an alchemist focusing on air and wind." I gave an 'oh', turning to walk out and back to my apartment. "Hey, (Y/N), why don't you wait in my office?"