Chapter 2: I Can Help

"Seriously?!" Edward's yell could probably be heard throughout East City. "You wanna help us find the Philosopher's Stone?!"

"Yeah, why not?" I mused. "Besides, I'm a State Alchemist, now." Showing him my official certificate, he took it and read over it.

"Title of Wind Alchemist. That's great, (Y/N)!" Ed seemed really impressed, when really this was just another alchemist getting their liscense; nothing special about that.

"We're really happy for you, (Y/N)," Al added, making me smile. I've been recieving nothing but congratulations since I had become certified. It felt...nice.

"Thank you, you two," I said in a quiter voice, rather embarrassed. Rubbing the back of my neck, we all sat in an uncomfortable silence; almost as if someone wanted to say something...

"Well, Al, we'd better get back to Tucker's to do more research." Finally, something to be said. Al hummed in agreement and walked out with his brother.

"You should head home, (Y/N), there's no need for you to stay here all the time," Mustang said. I nodded and looked at the books. "Borrow whichever ones you want."

I looked at him, a bit perplexed. "Are you sure?" He just waved his hand, saying to go ahead. With a smile, I picked out some of the books on philosopher's stones and more advanced alchemy. I walked out of his office with a wave, rushing through the halls until I reached outside.

Walking through East City, I immediately started reading. It was a bit difficult to hold five books in one arm and read in the other, but this is the price I have to pay for my eagerness. This book talked about everything from biological alchemy and chimeras to other subdivisions like astrological alchemy. Even though I'd never used these, it was still interesting to read about. I was so caught up in reading that I didn't even notice I had reached my building, almost passing it. Silly me.

Finally getting up to my apartment, I opened the door and set the books down before turning on the lights. It almost felt strange to be a State Alchemist; I felt smarter and stronger in a way, even though I hadn't changed.

The more I read, the more confused I had become. Why were the Elric brothers researching this? How did they plan on getting a philosopher's stone? What did biological alchemy have to do with it? I get they want to get Ed's arm and leg back, but what would they need a stone for? Maybe it was best I talk to them about it tomorrow. It was getting late as it is. But still, a part of me wanted to keep going. Curiosity ultimately got the better of me, and I continued reading.

I didn't realize how long I had been reading for until the sun was starting to come up. Yawning, I got up to get some coffee, the rush of caffeine waking me up. I was about to sit back down to read when I heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked, walking over to the door.

"It's Mustang, are you ok, (Y/N)?" This sounded urgent. Opening the door I found a rather disheveled Mustang huffing, out of breath.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Is something wrong?"

"Another State Alchemist was attacked close to here. I want to make sure you're ok," he explained. My stomach dropped and I grew a bit worried. "It's best you stay in my sight for a bit until I find you a guard."

"Mustang, I'm sure I can handle myself," I said defiantly.

"So am I, but it's best to be sure." He did have a point. I am not as advanced or powerful as he is, so it would be best.