Chapter 3

Reimu put away the broom she used for sweeping.

- Finally! - She sighed.
After all that cleaning, she sat on the wooden stairs of the shrine. It was getting late and something on the back of her head made her feel a little bit uneasy. Maybe she's forgotten about something. And then it struck her. She got herself ready as quickly as possible. There was no time to waste. She grabbed her gohei, just in case, and flew through the evening sky.
There already have been lots of people, well, youkai, at the Scarlet Devil Mansion. The gatekeeper was at her usual post but instead of opposing everyone she welcomed them to the party. Was she usually in that non-slumberic state?
~ The Colorful Chinese Flower - Hong Meiling
- Ah, Hakurei Shrine Maiden. I welcome you to the party – said the girl in a green outfit.
-Welcome. I see when it's time to party and enjoying free sake, you're not slacking!
- I'd have never taken even a tiny itsy-bitsy nap while on post! And today, I welcome the guests and duel the ones that are not invited.
- Not invited? - Reimu was a little shocked. It was definitely new. - I smell an incident. It seems awfully suspicious. Maybe someone there needs a quick treatment with my gohei!
"And after that quick incident I will throw a party that brings me a lot of donations" – she added in her mind.
- N-No miss Reimu! There is no incident – said slighly confused Meiling. - There is no incident ongoing on our bhalf. I can promise you that! But Sakuya warned me about some pesky fairies.
- The maid, huh? I've always thought she was the real gatekeeper of this mansion – muttered the shrine maiden and left for the party leaving the ever so slighty embarrassed Meiling behind.
Reimu entered the mansion and was astonished by the abundance of flawlessly decorated tabels. The scent of exotic dishes mixed with the fragrance of the native cuisine. This estate is always full of imported ingredients and ornaments. Scarlet Devil Mansion is an epitome of luxury and it always looks lavish as opposed to Reimu's charming, yet inexpensive shrine. The hall was enlightened by glorious chandeliers and fairy-maids were serving guests drinks. Shrine maiden heard from the chief maid of the mansion that it is a custom not native to Gensokyo. But for the dwellers of this fantasy realm, it sounded rather strange. But it, indeed, did the trick. The more exotic the place is, the more curious the people are! Then she spotted it. On one of the tables. That amazing scent!
- I see you're interested in trying out that choclate cake, miss Reimu.
Like out of nowhere, the chief maid has appeared.
- Welcome to the party – she bowed elegantly.
- I sniffed an incident but now the only thing I smell is that cake.
- I will cut you a piece right away.
- But don't even try using those knives of yours for something else. Me and my gohei are always ready!
- But of course, miss shrine maiden.
As Reimu was indulging in the sweet taste of this marveolous cake, the mistress of the mansion came into the spotlight.
- Dear youkai, servants of the gods, shrine maidens and tengu alike! I herby welcome you to the party! But this is no ordinary event! I want want you to greet, for the first time, my lovely younger sister – Flandre Scarlet! - Then all lights went to the shadowy figure on the right. It was a blonde girl wearing red with fourteen crystals attached to something that resembled wings.
~ The Scarlet Wave of Destruction – Flandre Scarlet
She bowed and everything went its usual way. Or so Reimu thought. Some of the guests didn't even know about Flandre's existence! As our humble shrine maiden remembered the surprised look on her face vanished completely. And why was she surprised in the first place? Well, because a lot of people wanted to get a glimpse of the Devil's sister! She had her five minutes.
- What was that "for the first time" business about ze? - Reimu heard behind her.
- Well, it is officially the first time she is in the centre of attention at her sister's party. That Flandre girl... She hardly ever visits any events! Was she ever invited to any?
- I don't know... But why don't we enjoy that happy bonding time with some good old-fashioned sake?
- Good thinking! But still... I think something fishy is going on... Like, there is a reason she wanted to put her sister in the spotlight.
- Remilia still attracs attention ze. Look!
- Both sisters play their roles at the party... But still.. I think something or someone is missing... I will keep a close look at them and have my gohei ready!
- If you want to... But now, come! It's time to party! - exclaimed Marisa and grabbed Reimu by her sleeve.