Chapter 4

It was rather easy to investigate the Hakurei Shrine with both the ability to stop time and Reimu long gone. Sakuya couldn't stop time indefinitely, so having such a big event at the Scarlet Devil Mansion was a necessary diversion.
"I see no shrooms in the shrine itself" she thought to herself. "What's more, the srine maiden might have got a little suspectful. I have to be careful around the shrine."
The plan itself was good but the execution - not. The maid had no idea where to look and the mistress wanted the investigation to be quick and fruitful. Then, she found it. In the backyard, there was a sole tree and near that tree a couple of blue-caped shrooms. But what does that mean exactly? Sakuya couldn't have possibly known. Then, behind her, she heard a mysterious voice.
- This tree is at the edge of the Hakurei Barrier.
As of nowhere, a woman with long, blonde hair wearing a purple dress and a lot of ribbons appeared. In her hand, she was holding an umbrella, which also was adorned with a plethora of ribbons, while her head hosted a victorian cap.
~ The Phantasm behind it all –Yukari Yakumo
- Welcome, Devil's dog.
- Ah, Miss Yukari. How lucky I am to finally stumble upon you.
- Stumble upon me? I was the one looking for you.
- I knew you wouldn't have appeared until I did something to attract your attention.
- But still, you're the one in my strings.
- You know... I am just a humble servant of mylady.
- So that vampire youkai foresaw our little meeting?
- Perhaps...
"She knows what was mistress's plan from the very beginning, hasn't she?" - Thought Sakuya in the scenery of this night's moon.
        Reimu shut the door behind her. She felt the heavy atmosphere in the air, as if someone had battled here just before her arrival. But in her own shrine? A duel? While walking by a small wooden table, she noticed a silver knife with blue handle. It was her ultimate proof. That devil was up to something! But why leaving this behind? Is that a weapon? Or sign? Or forgotten evidence? It was left in clear sight, as if someone did it on purpose. But who? And why? Is that a warning? Or maybe the other party of the battle left it after their victory. "- Shrine maiden could have pondered like that for ages but there was no time for thinking - it was time for taking action. She could sense another incident brewing right under her nose. She grabbed the knife and left for the Scarlet Devil Mansion yet again.
        Yukari smirked. The planted knife worked. Reimu left the shrine, unaware of the meaning behind it all.
- Why on earth did you leave my knife like that? We could have left for the mansion and settle this outside the shrine! - Said Sakuya as she appeard as out of nowhere.
- This shrine... Is close to the Hakurei Barrier. The boundaries here are stronger than ever and your mistress is still in the mansion. What is more, she has to deal with Reimu.
- This was all but a trap!
- Yes it was. Now. I won't allow the Devil to have a monopoly on outside world's stuff. You knew from the every beginning that this shroom was from the outside, didn't you?
- It's really that obvious? But what is the true meaning behind this? There are still a lot of mysteries surrounding this shroom.
- Step aside. You, at that party... It was obvious that the green-haired shrine maiden from the outside world wouldn't know a thing. But you? You knew that shroom was not from closest part of the outside world. The way you look, live, and talk. You knew this shroom comes from a Western fairy-tale. Connect that to the recent Urban Legends Incident and...
- You got me...
- Now prepare yourself!
- My knives are always ready.
- You think you can handle me better than before? I will end this duel now!
        It was awfully quiet and silent. Way too silent. Stranger than that was that Meiling left her post. If it was an incident, wouldn't they at least put up a fight?
- Ahh... Welcome, Reimu Hakurei, The Hakurei shrine maiden.
- Remilia. What is the meaning of this – she said and pulled out the knife she found in the shrine.
- That is one of Sakuya's, isn't it? Where did you acquire it?
- It was at my shrine. And I'm the one asking questions. That party. Sudden dissappearance of your Chief Maid and that fuss around your sister. You build up all that commotion deliberately.
- It is true that Sakuya is out doing her daily chores. But her absence at the party? Impossible. She has a lot of duties and the party wouldn't go on without her.
- Stupid excuse. Let's focus on her ability to manipulate time. It would be possible for her to use that skill of hers to jump quickly between the shrine and the mansion when needed. She could have left that knife in the hassle.
- Sakuya? Oh, I know her. Leaving stuff around like that... It's not her style. I believe it was a gift from the hag.
- Well... I will use that Gap Youkai's gift to my advantage. Your maid won't come to your aid! Now! Tell me what this fuss is all about or prepare to be exterminated!
Remilia flew up and spread her wings in excitement.
- There even is no incident to resolve! No human was harmed! No balance is to be broken!
- I will be the judge of that! - Shouted Reimu eagerly as she also flew up.
Then both of them started to form various bullet-hell combinations. Remilia used her magic to create a giant sigil behind her. From within a plethora of bullets started to come out in variety of angles and directions. Reimu made her move. She dodged the first wave of bullets. It was easy. The begining's always easy. But then it became a true hell. More and more bullets started to pour from the sigil, Remilia conjured some kind of spectral bats that started to follow the shrine maiden. Dogde to the left, quick turn. Reimu knew Remilia is preparing something big. But our heroine will finish this quickly and smoothly. Remilia was avoiding Reimu's bullets and attacks swiftly with dexterity of a dancer but she hadn't noticed one really small detail. Crucial detail. As Reimu was purposefully letting her opponent dodge, she was leaving charms on her way. And then the shrine maiden pulled out the final charm, more than just a paper tag. Remilia made a quick glance at it. It was obvious. She had lost.
- Fantasy Seal! - Shouted Reimu and then each and every spell tag clothed itself with dazzling blue light. And everything went white. Remilia couldn't prepare herself for that. She lost yet again.
But then a small thought appeared in her head. The maid and the bat weren't the only one in the mansion!
- Don't worry daze! I took care of that purple whitch!
It was Marisa. She came out from the lifting clouds of dust. Her cheerful smile told Reimu everything.
- Glad you have taken care of this mansion's witch, Marisa!
And they both smiled and greeted each other, as the Scarlet Devil, with her last shred of will, stood up.
- Now. Tell me what this fuss is all about!
Reimu was quite shocked that all this nuisance was caused by a little blue-caped shroom Marisa showed her that morning. Now, both of them left for the shrine where another duel took place.