Chapter 42

"So, it was only me doin all the cryin, eh?" Dr. Miller muttered, twiddling his thumbs embarrassingly on realizing she'd been pretty strong after the break-up, especially since she had her overprotective friend and family to pull her through it. They were in a fast-food joint, unbelievably at 7 in the morning, waiting for their order. He'd hoped for a bed and breakfast, but no such luck! Right now, he had to be content with taking things slow or atleast thank his stars that she'd moved on from their misunderstanding and agreed to start over.
"You cried?" she remarked, startled that men (who were usually so in control of their emotions...or atleast their tear ducts!) were capable of crying, leaning forward in her seat as she spoke. "No...no, of course not...I didn't cry! Me..cry? Ha! These eyes aren't made for cryin! They're made for checkin out women...I mean, you! Especially you! Strictly reserved for Ms. Vitino. For yer eyes only....? What am I sayin...I'm babblin, aren't I?" he stuttered nervously, trying to lie his way out boastfully. "Ah! Of course not! Those eyes aren't made for cryin. Just like that tongue's only made for spoutin cheesy oneliners...an' kissin....an' doin stuff to parts o' my body that I haven't forgotten yet...Oh! Now, I'm babblin! Look at us both, babblin like idiots!" she exclaimed embarrassingly, accidentally getting carried away and lost in memories of their passionate love life. So, these were the side effects of being away for so long that they didn't know where to start. "Aye...especially me, the biggest idiot, for lettin ya go!" he admitted, regretfully. "Oi, dontcha dare, McCheesy! I'm the bigger idiot!" she refused to let him be the bigger idiot. "I guess we can both agree then...that yer the bigger idiot!" he quipped with a clownish grin which was wiped off with a swift and playful kick from her from under the table. Her playfulness and that sunshiney smile that followed were indicators that things were back on track for them!
So...ya haven't forgotten yet, eh?" he reminded saucily, impressed that his own sexual prowess had left a mark! "Aww...shut up...an' wipe that grin off, mister!" she ordered, blushing as he switched back to an even more clownish and impish grin. "Wouldn't blame ya. I mean, I did have all that experience..." he began to brag, casually scratching the back of his neck as he leant back in his seat. "Ahem!" she cut him off with a frown, before looking away. "...which I shall leave in the past now! Yer the only one for me, love. Always have been." he promised, taking this as a sign that it was too soon to joke about or even bring up his womanizing ways, lest it caused things to go off track for them and their relationship to derail again. Fortunately, a waitress interrupted that awkward pause that followed, setting down a plate of burger and fries, ready for a starving Elle to wolf down.
He stared at her, helping himself to a fry and raising an eyebrow as she feasted on her greasy burger hungrily, occasionally moaning and mumbling to herself something along the lines of Shall I compare thee to a summer's day, as if in praise of the succulent foodstuff! "What? You've never had a breakfast burger before? Ya know, the only thing I loved bout America was the cheeseburger. I mean, I was addicted to em! An' this is the place that serves up the best cheeseburgers in London. You'd be gorging too if this place served up haggis!" she explained her strange method of praising her foodstuff to him on noticing his stare. "That's a bit stereotypical. Besides, I don't even like haggis. I prefer deep-fried Mars bars. D'you think they've got those ere?" he retorted, reaching out to wipe off a spot of ketchup in the corner of her mouth with a finger. This sudden action seemed to stop her from eating and she gazed at him dreamily as his finger lingered over her soft lips for a while.
"I could deep-fry somethin for ya back at my place, if ya like." she offered, snapping back into reality but still reeling from his touch as he pulled his finger away and handed her a napkin. "Is that code for sex?" he asked, misunderstanding her."Ugh! I dunno how you manage to disgust me every time we meet! I was only askin if you'd like to accompany me home. " she replied, scrunching her face up in disgust and leaving the burger half-eaten on the plate since he'd made her lose her appetite! "I dunno how one's s'possed to figure that out from what ya just said....but, alright, if ya say so." he agreed with a shrug of his shoulders. "You've really gotta get your mind outta the gutter, doctor." she advised with a teasing grin, paying for her junkfood before continuing their conversation on the tube ride to Kendrick Hall where the new nursing student shared student housing with engineering student Jess, who'd been her neighbor back in the States and had kindly offered to pay for an almost penniless Elle's ticket to London as well.