FIVE. BIG FUN

Benjamin Johnson has never been the centre of ridicule, he was far too mundane for that, but right now would be a good a time as any for the footballers to run him into the dirt

Andy's football practice found his younger brother stranded, without a ride home from school. The bus was long since gone, and all the extracurriculars were starting back up again. So, he was stuck watching the football practice from the bleachers, trying to distract himself with whatever was on his Instagram feed. He wasn't a fan of watching his brother and his friend show everyone how hot they were, or how fit and perfect they were. Ben wasn't one for sport, his body just wasn't up for whatever physical activity would throw at him. He tried out for soccer once, and ended up with a fractured nose and the realisation that being in goals was not the position for him.

Kevin had texted him a while earlier, telling him he would be coming out of formal committee in the next fifteen minutes. He hoped it was over soon, because he was starting to get annoyed at the odd looks some of the River Vixens and football players were giving him. He was the only one on the bleachers, looking like a bit of a loner. He never wanted to be able to drive as much as he did right now. He hated that his mode of transport nowadays was his brother's car. Yeah, he had a bike, but he did not have the energy to ride it to school. He rolled his eyes as he could feel his brothers judging eyes on him, nudging Reggie as if they had a private joke against him. No doubt they did, and no doubt it was probably the stupidest thing ever.

"Well, don't you look cosy up here." Kevin said, walking up to him. "Your imaginary friends keeping you company?"

Ben just nodded, grinning. "Yeah, come on guys, say hi to Kevin!" he pretended to talk to air, but it seemed his acting was a little too convincing, as the cheerleaders on the racing track raised their brows at the freak on the bleachers. He just ignored them, shifting over a bit to let Kevin sit down. "How's being on the dance committee?"

"Great, until Josie told us how Cheryl wanted everything. Apparently, she wants Jason's face plastered on every banner and wall you can find." Kevin patted the stack of what looked like posters on his lap. "It was a weird conversation to have with the secretary. 'Sorry, Ms. Lynch, could I have a hundred copies of Jason Blossom's face, please?'." Ben snorted, dreading to think of the awkwardness that ensued after that. "So, why are you here so late?"

"Andy's my ride, so I'm stuck here until practice is over." feeling like changing the subject, Ben smirked at him. "Speaking of the dance, have you asked anyone yet, maybe a certain jock whose name rhymes with Roose?"

Kevin laughed mirthlessly, raising his brows in a matter that proved to Ben that this was somewhat of a touchy subject. "You really think he'd go to the dance with a guy. The only time he's intimate with guys in public is when he's fist bumping them after football games."

Ben sighed, rolling his eyes. Kevin just couldn't catch a break. "I'm sorry, Kev, I could go with you if you want."

His friend balked at him, before laughing. "I appreciate it, but I don't think so. You're not my type."