Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

♚ V. OF RAINDROPS ♙

The sun pressed freckles and crimson hues into Landon's cheeks as he stretched out in the small, wooden fishing boat he had rented for the day

The sun pressed freckles and crimson hues into Landon's cheeks as he stretched out in the small, wooden fishing boat he had rented for the day. The gentle waves rocked the boat with the tenderness of a mother attempting to lull her firstborn to sleep. The wind whispered salt-scented lullabies in his ears, filled with promises that it would keep Landon safe should he choose to succumb to the currents of his tired body and drift into unconsciousness.

However, just as Landon's mind began to turn to a pleasant murk in the warmth of the lazy afternoon, a sound struck Landon like a bucket of cold water. It was almost entirely consumed by the sea and her waves and wind and gulls, but Landon could still make it out, the sole unfamiliar note in a song he'd spent his whole life hearing.

Landon sat up and squinted towards the shore. Amongst the sand, he was able to pick out a figure, dressed in white, priestly robes. Landon grinned, almost uncontrollably, as he lifted his hand and waved back at Mei. The priest lowered his hands - priorly cupped around his face to project his voice - and did not wave back, just pointed towards the docks.

Though his verbal commands had been sea-swallowed, the gesture was easily interpreted and Landon picked up the oars and made for the docks.

As Landon tied the final knot that would ensure the small ship stayed in its proper place, Mei came up behind him. The bottoms of his robes were dusted with sand but he wore the same, warm smile as he had when Landon was one of his many charges at the orphanage. "I was wondering where my prized pupil had wandered off to."

"Sorry, sorry," Landon said.

"Really." Mei crossed his arms but there was no heat to his voice. "You think that you'd be sick of it by now."

"Not at all," Landon said. "I can't sleep anywhere that doesn't rock these days."

"You really are a Sea Child," Mei said.

Landon smiled at the man's words. He knew that Mei had hoped he'd become a priest but Landon also knew that godly nonsense wasn't for him. So, when he turned eighteen, he'd found work as a sailor and hadn't returned to land for more than a few weeks since. However, when he did return to Jihn, he always spent that time with Mei.

The priest was trying to teach Landon to read and write, though Landon was far past the optimal age for it. He also had little patience and a worse memory for literacy so he wasn't making much progress. Still, he knew a few basic words and how to spell his name which was more than enough for him to get by.

At least for now.

"Honestly, I can't believe you're spending your last day in Jihn - for gods' know how long - sailing of all things." Mei shook his head in disbelief.

"I'm going to eat dinner with you," Landon said.

"Hm, are you?" Mei asked. "And are you going to get so drunk you pass out and leave me to deal with the bill?"