Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

♚ IX. OF STAGGERING ♙

By the time the sun rose the next morning, Landon was still reeling

Nothing about the past night felt real. A beautiful stranger who could walk through flames, his most precious treasure stolen from him. There was an edge of myth to it, like a story Landon would never believe. But it happened. It must've happened. When light trickled into the room again, the world sweet with the scent of rain, the window was still burned and Landon's dagger was still gone.

Slowly, achingly, Landon picked himself up from the floor. His body whined in protest but Landon couldn't afford to sit back down. If he did, he didn't think he would ever stand again. Landon needed to continue on with his life. He needed to go to the cathedral. Mei was expecting him. He needed to get to the ship. He couldn't be left behind.

Still, there was a tightness to his throat. It felt as though someone had wrapped a robe around his throat. Landon could almost feel its fraying edges against his skin.

Stupid. Landon rubbed his eyes, though no tears had fallen. He was acting as though he'd been orphaned for a second time but, in truth, Landon really hadn't even been orphaned a first time. He'd have to have parents - or at least memories of parents - for that to be true. Landon was a Sea Child and the sea never gave her children any form of inheritance.

The dagger was probably too nice for Landon's dirty hands, anyway.

As Landon started towards the door, something crinkled under his boot. Landon lifted his foot to see a piece of paper that certainly wasn't there before. Had the stranger left it? Landon frowned as he picked it up and unfolded it. The creases in the paper were well worn, the paper having been folded and unfolded by loving hands many times over.

It looked kind of like a letter. Though Landon couldn't make sense of the words, its layout matched the letters Mei had shown Landon. Landon carefully folded the letter once again and stuffed it in his pocket. It was something well-loved and though Landon perhaps should have just disposed of it, he didn't think he could bring himself to.

Landon made for the cathedral, a slip of paper in place of his dagger. He felt off-balance as he walked but he would soon grow used to the difference in weight.

The cathedral was just as magnificent as Landon remembered it being, if not more so. Like all of Jihn, its beauty seemed to increase after the years Landon had been away. He was fully able to appreciate the intricate patterns carved into the stone and the elegant colors of the stained glass windows. The cathedral was a work of art, crafted by hands long dead.

Mei waited for him on the steps. His white robes curled around his form as he spoke to the Sea Children who were meant to be sweeping. He wore a smile and, despite everything that happened, Landon couldn't help but smile as well.

Upon seeing Landon, Mei shooed the Sea Children off to do their chores and approached him. "I was worried you had forgotten."

"Never," Landon said.