Chapter 3

Sounds of a purring engine alerted Mabel that someone was here. Some tourists, perhaps?? Giving the cash register over to Wendy, she ran outside to greet their new guests. What she was met with was a sleek black car that, although outdated, still looked awesome.

Two men stepped out of the vehicle; one of them had longer brown hair and the other was a bit shorter with short dark hair. They both wore suits and it was pretty clear the both were talking hushedly to each other. Whatever it was, the shorter one looked upset about it.

"Hello and welcome to the Mystery Shack, where your nightmares come to life!" Mabel exclaimed with glee.

The shorter one laughed a bit. "Hahh we'll see about that."

"I'm Mabel Pines, and I work at this establishment. And who might you two be?" She doned a bright smile and her brown eyes sparkled in the summer sunlight. Truly the epitome of cuteness.

"We're agents Jay and Kay," Dean said, the both of them holding up their badges. "We were wondering if we could talk to you guys."

"About what?" Mabel asked, hands behind her back. Sam was about to speak, but was interrupted.

"Mabel!"

The trio looked over and saw a boy identical to Mabel walking out of the woods. He had the same brown hair and eyes, a rather small figure, and a few scratches on his legs. A worn satchel was on his shoulder.

"Bro-bro, you're back! What were you doing in the woods??" Mabel yelled with excitement as her brother walked up.

"Oh, uhm, I was just...looking for those gnomes. You know how they pranked us last week? Thought I'd try to get back at them," Dipper said rather quickly. Dean looked at him suspiciously. Something didn't seem right.

"Oh bro-bro," Mabel exclaimed gleefully, hugging her brother across the shoulders. "Agents, this is my twin bro, Dipper!" Dipper extended his hand and shook Dean's and Sam's hands.

"What kind of name is 'Dipper'?" Dean said with a small laugh, only to get an elbow in the side by his brother.

"Just a nickname," he responded, taking off his hat and lifting his hair to reveal is birthmark of the big dipper on his head. Sam and Dean gave an 'oh' while Mabel just looked at him astounded. She'd never seen him take so much pride in his birthmark before. Especially to strangers.

"That's interesting," Sam noted, getting a small smile from Dipper.

"Well, would you officers like to come inside?" Mabel asked, grabbing their hands and dragging them inside. Dipper followed, giving a rather long glance towards the woods.

Sam and Dean sat on the sofa, waiting for the twins to come back. Mabel had said she was going to get the owner, but they would have to wait as he was giving a tour. Despite how it looked on the outside, it was actually quite big and comfortable on the inside. And yet they still managed to make it a tourist trap.

"Find anything Dean?"

Looking at the innactive EMF, he shook his head no. Slumping back down on the couch, he stared up at the wooden cieling. He looked around from the kitchen next to them and the rest of the small minimalist living room.

"Did Dipper seem a bit weird to you?" Dean asked, only to get a sigh from Sam.

"This whole town is weird. They all seem detached and secretive, almost like they're protecting something. But we shouldn't assume anything just yet."

"True. Besides, this looks like our kind of weird," Dean commented.

"You always say that no matter what case we're on," Sam laughed.

"I'm being serious this time." Sam laughed a bit and just shrugged. He couldn't deny his brother was right, though.

"Hey, dudes! I mean, agents." A man in a suit came in with Mabel, and he had an eyepatch, fez, and cane in hand. Looks like he runs the place. "My name's Soos, and I'm the n- owner of the Mystery Shack."

"I'm special agent Jay and this is my partner special agent Kay," Dean said, the two of them holding up their badges.

"Jay and Kay. Haha just like in that one alien movie," Soos laughed, only finding their names a coincidence rather than a reference. "So what did you dudes wanna ask?"

"Has there been any strange activity around here?" Sam asked. "Like, not what you see every day."

"Haha yeah, like all the time. This is the Mystery Shack." Soos made his point; it couldn't be a Mystery Shack without any strange activity. Still, this was a serious matter.

"We mean concerning the string of murders in the area," Dean explained, albeit a bit sternly. He was a bit impatient to get back to more pressing matters.

"Oh right. Well, our employee Wendy has seen some people lurking around in the woods at night. But she's never seen them up close. And the twins haven't seen anything except for the news." Sam took note to talk to Wendy in the future. Dean, however, was a bit suspicious of Dipper. He was just alone in the woods; and it seems to be an everyday thing.

"Would it be alright if we talk to Wendy?" Sam asked, breaking Dean's concentration.

"Go right ahead, dudes. She's at the register." The two thanked him and walked out, finding the redhead where Soos said she'd be.

The redhead looked up at the duo from her magazine. "Need help with something?"

"Actually, yes. We just have a few questions for you." Wendy stood up straight, patiently awaiting their inquiry. "If you don't mind," Sam added, to which Wendy shook her head.

"Not at all. I mean, with all the stuff going on around here." Sam took out his notebook as they started asking her their questions.