Chapter 27

“When did this happen?”

“Last summer.”

 “Kelli’s stepfather raped her?”

 “Yes.”

 “Who knows about this?”

 “Me, Kelli, Mitch…I don’t know if Kelli told anyone else. But Parker knows.”

“Parker Page? Your best friend?”

Riley nods. “I told Parker about it a few months ago. She and Kelli were having a feud, and Parker kept treating her like shit.” 

“Does Lydia know?”

“Absolutely not.”

“How can Kelli keep such a huge secret from her mother?”

“He threw himself on his knees and begged her forgiveness. Said he was drunk, under a lot of pressure in his job. He sobbed. Begged her not to tell her mom or anyone else. Kelli keeps thinking she must have done something wrong. That it’s her fault, somehow.”

“Except that he’s spying on her.”

If he is.”

“Has he touched her since?”

“No.”

I think a minute. Then say, “You’re positive she doesn’t know about the cameras?”

Riley’s eyes flash with sudden anger. “What are you saying? That my friend is performing for that psychopath?”

“No, of course not! You just made it sound like she’s forgiven him to some extent. And has accepted part of the blame, which, by the way, is exactly how victims typically respond to this type of situation. But the bottom line is, she’s keeping his secret.”

“So?”

“You told me she hates Mitch. I was just wondering if, after being raped, she found out about the cameras.”

“You need an additional excuse for why she hates her stepfather? She’s fearful in her own home. Terrified when he’s in town.”

“Why do Kelli’s parents sleep in separate bedrooms?”

“She caught him cheating on her.”

“With whom, do you know?”

“He cheats a lot, Kelli says. Both locally and out of town, according to her mom.”

“Why does she stay with him?”

“Money.”

“I thought he was loaded. Wouldn’t she do well in a divorce?”

“They have a pre-nup. And Kelli thinks most of his assets are hidden overseas.”

“Which is why he travels so much?

“I don’t know. Maybe.”

I shake my head. “That’s why Kelli hasn’t told her mom about the rape.”

“Exactly. It’s bad enough your stepfather rapes you. But it’s even worse if you wind up homeless because of it.”

“Is there a way we can get Kelli’s mom out of the house so we can search Mitch’s room?”

“How much time would you need?”

“As much as we can get.”

She says, “You’ve taken a lot of chances, telling me about breaking into Kelli’s house, searching her bedroom, stealing Ethan and Ronnie’s phones. And now you’re planning to break into Mitch’s room.”