Chapter 29

A lot happens in a short period of time. First, I break the news to Riley.

“How bad is it?” she says.

“I’d rather not describe it to you over the phone. Can I come to your house?”

“Why?”

“I’d like to be there for you, when you see them for the first time. I’ve been through this. We can talk to your mom together, let her know what happened. It’s time to get her involved.”

“Ms. Ripper,” she says. “Can I call you Dani?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Everything’s about to blow up now, isn’t it?”

“Yes.”

“Then I think we’ve hit the point where you and Dillon can’t be involved.”

“What do you mean?”

“You guys have broken numerous laws to help build this case. I’m incredibly grateful, but now that the photos are on the internet, the case will take on a life of its own. But if you’re involved, the defense attorneys will drag you into it and distract the police, the attorneys, and the judge.”

“What about Kelli?”

“What about her?”

“This can be an opportunity to put Mitch away.”

“Kelli and her mom should be the ones to make that decision.”

“Okay, fair enough. Are you sure you’ll be okay?”

“I’ll be fine. I’m a survivor. All week we knew this could happen, so it’s not like a complete shock.”

“It’s going to be very difficult for you. I’d like to help if I can.”

“You can help by sending me the link to the photos.”

“Of course.”

“Thank you. And Dani?”

“Yes?”

“I really do appreciate everything you’ve done for me, and all the time you put into this.”

“I’m still here for you, Riley. If there’s anything you need, anything at all, please let me know how I can help you.”

“Thank you. I would like to clear one thing up, though.”

“What’s that?”

“When you said you’ve been through this, it’s not exactly true. What you went through was far worse than what happened to me. But how would you feel if naked photos of you were released on the internet?”

“I’d feel awful. I can’t imagine it.”

“Try to.”

“Excuse me?”

“Do you realize everyone who knows me will look at those photos? Guys I know, their little brothers, and possibly their fathers, and some of my teachers—will probably masturbate to my photos. I doubt you have any idea what that’s going to be like for me. Not to mention, I’ll have to see all these kids and teachers at school every day.”

“I’m so sorry, Riley. I didn’t mean to compare our situations.”

“I know. I’m just saying…”

I sigh. “I’ll send the link. And the offer to call me, see me, work with me—will always be open.”

“Thank you.”

I send her the link, tell her goodbye, and pray she’ll be okay.

That was around eight-fifteen p.m.

By eleven, Riley has become the lead story on all local news channels. They’re not mentioning her by name, but they’re scrambling to piece her story together.

By noon, Saturday, it’s all anyone in town is talking about.

By five o’clock, there’s a new lead story.

Mitch Underhill has been found dead in his own home, the result of an apparent suicide.