[ live fast, die young / shiro x reader ]

oneshot: shiro x birthday girl! reader

notes: originally a birthday gift for my paladin may!! love you boo, this is my first shiro oneshot.

word count: 1012

----

You were sleeping in your bed, wrapped up in a somewhat comfortable blanket. One would expect a castle that doubled as a spaceship to have comfortable blanket, but beggars can't be choosers. The blanket would have to suffice.

The door to your room opened, the familiar sound filling the empty space in your room. You sat up from your bed, squinting to see who would wake you up at such an ungodly hour. Your [eye color] eyes quickly spotted a small tuft of white hair.

You smiled, "Is that you, Shiro?" You asked. You were only answered by Shiro's soft chuckle, and you nearly melted right there. God, you loved his laugh—scratch that, you loved everything about the Black Paladin of Voltron.

You clapped twice, and dim lights turned on at the command. It was something Allura and Coran had installed once they discovered that Humans could not see in the dark. Honestly, it was super useful for those late night bathroom trips, nightmares, or 12 AM snacks.

"How did you find out so fast?" He asked curiously, taking a seat next to you on the bed. "Your hair, silly," You told him, flicking the white tuft. He seemed to be slightly surprised, but then smiled, "I'll take note of that, but for now I need you to change into some outside clothes."

You rose an eyebrow, "But why?"

"I'm taking you on a date, of course," He told you with a cliche smile and a wink.

You rolled your eyes playfully at him, "How romantic, a date at, like, 12 AM."

"Just get changed, love," He instructed, "I'll be waiting outside."

Shiro left the room, and you sighed. It wasn't a tired sigh, but more like a love-struck sigh. You got up from your bed, slightly groggy since you had just woken up, but changed nonetheless. Once you were comfortable with what you had on, you walked outside.

Shiro was waiting there just like he said he would be, a eye mask in hand. You eyed the blue eye mask, it was most likely taken from Lance. "Put this on," Shiro said, as he handed you the mask.

"O-o-o, a surprise date! How cliche, I love it," You said, slipping the mask around your head and over your eyes. You reached for Shiro's hands and was met with his cold, robotic right hand. You grabbed onto it before Shiro started to walking, leading you to some place in the castle.

You and Shiro had traveled far, far away from your room. You both had turned corners, walked down hallways, and even went in a full circle at one point.

"Be careful, there's stairs right here. You can take off the mask now if you want," Shiro's voice warned you softly. "I'll be fine, Shiro! There's no point in taking it off now, not after we traveled so far. Besides, it'll ruin your surprise," You reassured him.

His thumb rubbed your hand slightly, "If you say so. . ."

Shiro led you up the stairs, and thankfully you didn't fall or stumble; much to your own surprise. You had thought you were clumsy enough to fall or do something else dumb and embarrassing.

"All right, you can open your eyes now," Shiro told you, letting go of your hand. You took off the mask. Since your eyes weren't adjusted to the light yet, you closed them as you shook your head in a poor attempt to restore your hair to it's former glory. You had messed it up when you took off the mask haphazardly.

You had opened your eyes and blinked three or four times, trying to take in the view in front of you. "Shiro. . . this is amazing," You told him breathlessly, taking in the sights of all the stars and such.

"Allura and I worked on this when we found out you birthday was tomorrow—er, it's tomorrow already, so I guess today," Shiro spoke up, gesturing to the balcony the two of you stood on.

"I didn't even know we had a balcony! This is incredible, Shiro!" You exclaimed, leaning over the railing to look over the planet the castle had landed on. The Black Paladin rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly as a blush overtook his features.

It was sudden, really. No one would've expected you to turn around, grab Shiro by the collar, and pull him into a long kiss. Your eyes were closed tight, only focused on the sensation of his lips on youes. Shiro's eyes widened, but soon understood what was going on. You felt him smile in the kiss, then you pulled away.

Shiro stood there and smiled goofily at you and you smiled at him back, both of you were panting from the long kiss moments prior.

It was your turn to lead him as you softly grabbed his hand to guide him besides you behind the protective railings. You sighed dreamily, elbows resting on the railing as you stared at the stars and sky above the two of you.

The two of you had calmed down significantly and now stood peacefully besides one another.

"Hey, Shiro," You spoke up, your gaze still directed towards the sky. Shiro raised an eyebrow, looking down at your shorter form. "Yes, [Name]?"

"I really love you, you know that?" You told him with another soft smile as you turned to face him. Your smile must've been contagious or something, as Shiro soon found himself smiling back unconsciously.

Your right hand had sneaked itself into your lover's cold one, and now rested on the railing. "I do, and I want you to know that I love you just as much," He replied, kissing your forehead.

Your smile grew even wider before the stars caught your attention once again.

Maybe, just maybe, Team Voltron could defeat the Universe. Once they did, everyone could go home; reunite with their loved ones, significant others, and friends. Maybe, just maybe, Team Voltron could get their happy ending once and for all.

But one can only dream and pray.