Chapter 1~Through the Glass

*Hatsu Miru*

I watch him.   I move for him.  I was made for him.  

Ever since Ryuu made me a few years back, he's been obsessed.  It's not the normal, healthy obsession.  He barely eats, plays all through the night, and stays shut in all day.  He makes no friends.  

He talks to me.  Being programmed the way I am, I respond.  My thoughts aren't told, I may only continue the conversation.  And I hated it.  Its like I'm screaming out to him, but he's turned deaf and is not listening.  

It made me want to punch the glass wall which separated him and I. 

Everyday he talks to me. He tells me what he wishes, what he hated, everything that made him human.  And everything that made me feel human.  

"My dad didn't come back until 5 in the morning yesterday,"  Ryuu told me.  "I hate how he works until he's left half dying."  You're one to talk, I wanted to say back.  Instead, I merely rolled my eyes at him.  

"You could tell him,"  I suggested.  "Maybe he'd understand."  My eyes followed him as he fiddled with his controller.  

"Pfft.  Nah...then he'd have to change jobs, then we'd have to move.  No thank you.  I prefer staying here.  Not like we need father and son bonding time anyways."

I looked at him.  "At least you have a dad, Ryuu."  He stopped.  

"Should I make a dad for you, princess?"  he teased.  I made a grouchy face in return.  I focused on "princess."  I could continue with that. 

"I'm not a princess, Ryuu."  Then I hesitated.  "I want to be a singer," I confessed for the first time. 

"Sweet!" he said.  I managed a smile.  "I'll just pull a few late nighters and get you a singing voice."  He paused.  "I should also program a self-conversation-starter while I'm at it."

I was jumping with joy right then.  "I love you, Ryuu!  Thanks!"  I thought for a bit.  "No all-nighters though. You're human, unlike me."  His smile was wiped from his face. 

"Dang it."

I laughed.  I was a step closer to my dreams.  That had to mean something, right?

Yet, it seemed the distance between the glass had just gotten wider.