Chapter 11- Bullseye

"Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning," I grumbled under my breath, wiping off a table with few crumbs leftover from a soldier's breakfast.

I'd been stuck cleaning up after the soldiers of the Ruination for what felt like weeks now. Not only that but there was strictly training-only days as well. My life was a repetition of cleaning and training.

Reyes hadn't been the one training me either. He would watch from a distance, but Kash kept him busy with errands of his own. I knew Kash was punishing me with training that involved more physical and emotional workouts rather than fine-tuning of the things I already knew. The soldiers that trained me were boring, saying the same things over and over again, repeating the same workouts almost everyday.

This little piece of punishment made me appreciate and miss Reyes' tactics that much more.

"There's the janitor."

I paused at my wiping and rolled my eyes. "Hello to you too, Reyes."

The man plopped down at the table I was cleaning, making the liquid inside the bottle of cleaner wiggle like Jello. I continued with my task, focusing on a small stain.

"How's everything going?"

"Never thought I'd be cleaning up after my own comrades," I muttered, shrugging.

"So I guess that's you enjoying your punishment."

"It's better than some I suppose," I flung down the white rag onto the table and faced him. "Why are you here?"

Reyes was already looking at me with those strong eyes that held the blue sunsets of Bahama waters. Yes, I could definitely see the ripples of the the sparkling salt water and the gulls cawing as they soared over it. It was a mural in two small objects, so real I could almost taste the salt, a virgin to pollution, strictly fresh.

"I wanted to offer you a little training session."

"Kash gave you permission?"

"I don't need it technically."

"Well technically since you didn't take back your rank-"

"Technically I'm older than you and you should respect my word."

"That's an awfully weird word of advice."

"It wasn't advice," Reyes narrowed his eyes. "Come with me, Terra. Get away from this...shit."

"Fine," I set down the spray bottle and towel, wringing my hands.

Reyes stood up from the table and began to walk off towards the armory. I followed shortly behind, watching the way his heels landed and came back up as he walked. The left one landed slightly further in than the toes in front of it as if Reyes was sore indefinitely. Funny how the littlest things were intriguing or entertaining.

"Your friend today is the Trinity R2."

"Never heard of it," I crossed my arms as Reyes picked up the smaller rifle.

"That's because Slade has been working hard to make some new weapons that SDF forces don't have. Here."

I took the weapon, almost tossing it around by my pinky fingers. "It's light."

"Extremely."

"Details? Features?"

"Low recoil, regenerating laser bullets that can hit targets hundreds of yards away with ease. Built in red dot and the gun locks on to targets to guide the shooter."

"I don't need help."

"It's nice to have, trust me," Reyes lead me towards the range. "Get ready."