Chapter 1 - Smile

I could've never imagine what would happen when I walked through those doors. Especially because I did that often. The McMillan's pub was a place for friends, joy, happiness, laughter and... For me. I couldn't fit in that description. Not at all. Not even my looks called out for a happy person. I was an Ice person. I was alone.

The bar was simple, which was one of the reasons why I liked it. A woman named 'Cana' owned it. Not that I was friends with her, no. She was just known as the woman who drank the most in the whole town. And that's saying a lot.

Anyways, that day, I walked through those doors thinking it would be the same. Thinking that I would stay at the same table, order the same drink, watch the same people. But instead I stayed at the same table, ordered the same drink and watched her.

She, just like the others, was happy. Her wavy blue locks bounced when she laughed with her three friends in a table not that far away from mine.
I didn't care if somebody caught me staring at that girl, we're talking about a girl with... A little more than 20, I guess, just like me. So I didn't care as long as it wasn't her. Look at the friendly smile she would send me would just make me feel bad for not smiling back at her. Yes, because I wouldn't smile. I lost that ability years ago.

As I took another sip of my drink, I watched as one of her friends got up and left the bar. She, too had blue hair. It wasn't as pretty as hers though. She and the two girls who were still there were talking but I just couldn't focus on what they were talking about, not even on the other girls. I really don't know why. I seriously don't know why that blue haired girl caught my attention.
Well, that was an half-lie. She was a beauty. Not that her friends weren't, I can recognize this much: they were all pretty. But even so, none of those two girls were as beautiful as her.

I realized that a few girls were staring at me. I couldn't care less. They knew better than to come talk to me so I simply ignored.

I raised the glass to my mouth, only to find it empty. Only a few drops were left. As I called the waitress to bring me another drink, another one of her friends left. A blonde. Now it was just her and a redhead. These two looked like they were very close to each other, more than the others. I notice that redhead blush when the bluenette said something to her, and at that moment she laughed harder than any other time. Somehow, it felt soothing to hear her... But something was missing in that laugh, something important, I just couldn't put my finger on it...

I grabbed my phone. I had a message.

'It's probably spam.' It wasn't.
It was from the last and only thing that prevented me from saying that I was completely alone. It was from Natsu. He is the only one I can consider my friend. And after what happened to me I'm surprised I still have one. But I'm fine. I know it's better like this. I know it's better if I'm alone cause I think I wouldn't be able to be rejected again. I know I wouldn't. But even so, I don't come to the bar because I'm sad, or to forget everything. I come here because it's the only place where no one comes to me asking 'are you okay?' or 'hey, do you need a friend?' because everyone here knows my story and everyone here knows I can't have friends. Well, now it's almost everyone.

This bar is a little bit old and with all the other better and bigger bars right across the street, only regular costumers enter here, the only reason people come here is to preserve memories. Yes, that includes me. Even if those memories seem to be dissipating. But well, I can't say that's the only reason anymore for I have never seen her here.

I look at her again. She is still there but it looks like the redhead is about to leave. As she leaves the bar I notice the bluenette follow her friend with her eyes until she was out of her corner, take a deep breath and drop the beautiful smile that has been decorating her face since she came in. Her glass is still filled with the same drink she ordered when she arrived. Now I know what's missing in her laugh.