The Trickster [02]

I parked myself in front of the mirror, touching the butterfly stitches that Seth had used to patch me up

I parked myself in front of the mirror, touching the butterfly stitches that Seth had used to patch me up. I wasn't the same girl I had been eight years ago when we had first met. I was nineteen years old, nearly a full-grown woman. I looked a lot like my late mother when she had been young. I had the same button nose, full lips, rounded face, and chipmunk cheeks. The only thing I didn't quite like about my face was my eyes. They were far too big and bright. They made me look almost alien.

I turned on the faucet, splashing cold water on my face. I wiped myself against the fabric of my long sleeve shirt, casting a quick look at my reflection before I made my way out of the bathroom. I headed down the hallway into the main room, finding it surprisingly empty. I moved to the window, spotting Seth alert and outside with his gun poised for action. I narrowed my eyes as I moved toward the door, opening it with a twist of the knob. I was hit with a rush of frostbiting air, a shiver running down my spine.

"Is everything alright?" I stood in the doorway, staring at Seth who was standing at the base of the steps that led up to the porch. He was staring off toward the woods, gaze focused intently. I grabbed my jacket that was hanging on the coat rack just inside the door, pulling it on as I stepped outside into the cold air. It sucked the air from my lungs and battered my face. It didn't matter how much snow I'd seen in my life, nobody could get used to the blistering chill, "Seriously, what's wrong?"

"You're going to think I'm crazy." He flipped a look at me, tightening his grip on his gun.

I pressed my lips together, "Me? I doubt it."

"I saw something out here. I thought it might be a wolf but it looked too big. More like a bear...but that's not right either..." He stumbled over his words as he turned his attention back to the woods, "Look, I'm going to go check it out."

"No!" I found myself shouting quickly, cheeks burning when he turned back to me with surprise. I swallowed my embarrassment, stepping forward, "I mean that sounds kind of dangerous. If it's a wild animal, it doesn't seem very wise to go out there without backup."

Seth's lips curved upward into a ghost of a smile, "Are you worried about me, Jezebel?"

I looked away, digging the toe of my boot into the snow-dusted porch, "I just think you should wait until the storm settles, at least."

"I'll just take a quick look. I'll be right back. I can't have a wild animal prowling around this close to town." I knew his words made sense. He was the deputy but these animals were also his livelihood and he had to protect them. I watched as he disappeared into the woods, waiting anxiously for him to return. I thought to go back inside but my insides twisted in a way that kept me from moving. I had a bad feeling in my bones. I stood silently, staring out through the sheet of white powder toward the trees.

I heard his gunshot and I knew I couldn't handle waiting around. I had to help him. I raced off the porch and into the storm, "Seth!" I called as I ran into the woods, the snow deep enough in some places that it was halfway up my calf. It staggered my stride, slowing me down. It was like trying to run through sand.