Poisonous Lips [04]

There was no time to rage against what had happened because the Lords of the hunt did not care about what they had taken from me

There was no time to rage against what had happened because the Lords of the hunt did not care about what they had taken from me. They intended on continuing on with their hunt. I turned the gaping black hole in my chest toward the creature to blame. I felt it swallowing me up and hollowing me out with every ragged breath I drew.

The axeman flicked his hand, calling back his weapon. He caught it as it flew through the air, Seth's blood dripping from the blade and staining the white snow below his feet. The sight of stole any goodness that was still left in me. My anger plumed like ash and smoke from a volcano. The shadow's hissed with excitement as they responded to my intention, lunging toward my prey.

I snatched him up off the ground like a rag doll, shaking him around violently. I wanted him to suffer. I contorted his limbs to the point of breaking, enjoying the pained expressions on his face. I dislocated his arm and relocated. Dislocated his knee, and relocated it. Dislocated. Relocated. He was clay in my hands. My ears rang as I continued to push myself to the limit. I had never taken it this far before. I had never had too but I knew it was pulling from somewhere deep inside of me, taking from the core of my being.

"You'll tire soon enough, half-breed." The axeman barred all his teeth in a vicious smile, "You only have so much power." I felt the blood trickling down from my nose, flicking my tongue over my upper lip to wipe it away. The copper tang exploded in my mouth as if I had swallowed a handful of pennies.

"Maybe, but I'm not tired yet," I growled through clenched teeth. I wanted to reach inside of the Lord, tear him apart as I had been torn apart. I wanted him to bleed. I wanted him to die. My bloodthirst was unmatched. I was simply a weapon with flesh and bone, nothing more. The hatred and violence had been waiting inside me all this time, blooming slowing, ripening for this moment. More shadows stretched through the blistering snowstorm until my vision was shrouded in darkness.

I flicked my head to the side, watching as the Lord flew through the air, knocking into a tree. I quickly tossed my head in the other direction, tossing him into another tree. I repeated the action over and over, feeling my body continue to weaken. I was dying but I didn't care. I had nothing more, no one who would cry for me if I perished. My darkness was choking me.

I had not anticipated an attack, my attention focused solely on my prey. A sharp fist cracked against my cheek and suddenly I was falling into the snow, losing control of the shadows. The ground was soft and wet against my skin. I shook my head to clear the stars from my vision, gaze locking on Seth's body beside me. My cheek pulsed with the pain of the hit I had taken but I couldn't find the will to care. It took me losing the last good thing in my life to realize that pain was power.

I lifted my face, determined not to shrink away from what was certainly coming. The swordsman, stood proudly in his arm as if he had crawled from the bawls of hell itself. "And now you die." I let my eyes flutter shut, eyelashes capturing snowflakes. I was ready to let go. This world was garbage now, anyway. I never stood a chance at a happy ending. Monsters should not confuse themselves with princesses.