Death of an Erlking [06]

"Are you sure this is going to work?" I walked behind Cian as he led us quietly through darkened castle halls

"Are you sure this is going to work?" I walked behind Cian as he led us quietly through darkened castle halls. His plan was to disguise me as one of the guards, and signal me when it was time for me to steal the Erlking's blade.

"They'll be too drunk to sort out the difference."

"So, you say."

"So, I know." He cast a look at me over his shoulder, "Trust me, Jezebel. I need you. I won't let anything happen to you." He spoke the words softly and with great care as if he truly wanted me to trust him. My mind sank into the feeling for a moment, but quickly recoiled when I remembered that who and what he was. Faerie could not be trusted, they were manipulators.

"So, you say. Again." I replied flatly. His jaw flexed with subtle annoyance before he turned away from me, releasing his hold on my hand. I felt a strange ache at the action, followed by the need to apologize because I could tell I had hurt some part of him. Instead, I bit my tongue. I wasn't here to make friends. I was here to steal Seth spirit, and help kill a king.

Even as those thoughts fluttered through my mind I found myself losing them as I caught my reflection in the mirror, stopping short. I turned my face toward it with wide eyes. I looked like myself, and yet like a stranger. Everything about me screamed that I was anything but human. My skin had lost its olive sun-kissed quality, now I was beyond pale. If I stared long enough I could see a bluish-silver tint to me. My eyes seemed to glow like frosted crystals, standing out more than they had before. I smiled at myself, noticing that my canines were sharper, fang-like. I lifted my hands into claws and hissed, the sound vibrating deep in my chest. This would be a kick at Halloween but beyond that...I would need to learn how to use a glamour. I needed to look human, now that I wasn't anymore.

"I told you that you were beautiful." Cian's words shook me from internal thoughts.

I turned away from the mirror, feeling deflated, "But that beauty is a lie, isn't it? It's just a front for the monster I've become."

"Jezebel..." My name was spoken softly as if he wished to offer me some kind of condolence or apology.

"Come on, let's find Seth and get out of here." I didn't need it. Everything else was nothing but a distraction right now, I reminded myself. I walked in the lead for a moment, not thinking. I only wanted to put distance between me and my reflection, between me and Cian. I took a step out of the shadows for a moment, the sound of voices pulling at my attention. I turned my face to catch a glimpse of the backs of a couple of Faeries as I was yanked into the shadows.

A warm hand wrapped tightly around my mouth and my body nestled against a firm chest, "Are you stupid? Do you want to get caught?" Cian whispered into my ear, slowly easing away from me as the voices faded. I watched him through narrowed eyes as he stepped from the shadows, checking the hallway.

He turned back to me with a serious expression and I sank back a little, "Sorry."

"Wait here. Stay in the shadows. Stay. I'll be right back." He instructed in exasperation before he left me, disappearing from view. I did my best to remain calm, shifting back and forth on the balls of my feet. I felt exposed and vulnerable in this world. My senses hyper-aware of all the possible dangers. If I was caught what would happen to me. I was stronger now, which meant my power was stronger but what did that really mean?