s e v e n t y t h r e e

I give Pj my address and he drops us off at the flat, my mind clouded with confusion. Everything from today, the short amount of time we were there at school, has been confusing. My only question is what the fuck? Actually, that's a lie.

Why's Dan so skinny?

Have they attacked him before?

Why did they attack him?

and most importantly; is Dan okay?

The only way I can find out is by asking. Not yet, though. I want to make sure he's okay first. We settle down on the sofa, no words between us, until he shuffles closer, sitting on my lap and hugging me. I understand; He's experienced a lot today. I didn't even see all of it, and there's a possibility that this has happened before, but surely not. He's Dan.

I place a kiss on his head, and then he tilts his head up, settling a kiss on my lips. Suddenly, the kiss gets more heated, and I can feel Dan roll one of my snake bites between his teeth momentarily. My hands slip underneath his hoodie in attempts to pull it over his head, and he flinches away, backing up further away from me.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that, I- I'm such an idiot! Fuck! I'm sorry- I-"

"Phil, it's fine. It's not that I don't want to-it's just, you'll get mad."

"Why would I get mad?"

"Be-because, well- I- I'll show you."

"You don't have to, and I'll never see anything about you that I don't love, Danny."

"I can assure you that this will change your mind." He says, pulling the hoodie over his head. 

The first thing my eyes flicker towards are his wrists, and he doesn't stop there, pulling his t-shirt off. I have no words. His body is littered with red marks slitted across him. Was this his parents? Or, was it- no, it couldn't possibly be. I also notice that his ribs stick out, a lot. My mouth is in an 'o' shape, and quickly I shut it.

"Sorry, I- If you want to break up, I get it."

"What? No! I just- can you explain, please. Fuck, Dan I-"

"I'll explain, okay. Ask what you want."