Chapter 3

No one is without fears, demons, and flaws.
~Me

"Come on just one," Matt pleaded. I giggled and said, "No they're all mine."

We sat on the old red couch in Matt's living room watching my favorite TV show The Mentalist. I decided to go over to his house because I didn't
I want to face my father.

"I just want skittles," Matthew grumbled. He's been trying to get my skittles for hours. I ignored his comment and stared at the tv screen.

I watched as Patrick the protagonist of the show annoyed Theresa his friend and co-worker. Matthew begins to poke the side of my head. He does this while saying, 'I want skittles' I let out a frustrated sigh and throw a pack of skittles at his face.

"I knew you'd give in," he said with a goofy smile on his face. I roll my eyes. We hear the door open and in walks Matthew's dad. His suit was a mess; he looked like he'd been beaten up pretty bad.

The smile on Matthew's face disappears once he sees his dad.

"Abigail," he slurs pointing at me.

"Your father has been looking for you," on cue my dad walks in.

His eyes are bloodshot red, my heart tightens. He is drunk; he always gets like this when he's around Matt's dad. "Stella! Stella!" Matthew's dad yells.

Stella King, Matt's mom, runs down to the living room. Matt's mom is extremely beautiful, she has a wonderful personality, and she's just full of so much love or at least she was.

After years of living in abuse her smile began to fade, Matt's dad treats her like crap. He insults her, brings his many lovers home and sometimes he hit her.

Stella smiled in front of the townspeople, she put on a show and made it seem as though nothing is wrong, but if you looked closer beyond her facade you could see the pain.

She is dealing with the worst kind of pain. Silent pain when you want to break free from the hell you've been imprisoned in, but your fears keep holding you captive. So you have to bear the pain in silence.

"What is it, Benjamin?" Stella asked, her voice shaking a bit. She looked scared. It made me wonder how someone could be afraid of the person they decided to spend the rest of their life with.

"Get Alexander and me a drink," he ordered.

"I think I've had enough Ben, besides I got to go. Busy day tomorrow," my dad said with a smile.

I stand from the couch, Matthew hugs me tightly. "Stay safe," he whispered. I nod and walk towards my father. He smiles at Matt's dad saying his goodbyes.

For a moment my heart clenched in my chest because I missed when he used to smile at me like that when I used to be his little princess.

"It's always a pleasure to see you, Abigail," Matt's dad said to me. "I wish I could say the same," I replied and walked out of the house. As I approach the car I hear my father's footsteps behind me, I entered the car slamming the door shut.

His car smelt of cigarettes. My father glared at me as he got into the car, "That was a very rude-."

"You've been smoking," I interrupt. The glare on my father's face disappears, he knew he wasn't supposed to be smoking because of his heart condition.

My father lowered his head probably in shame "I don't want to argue," he said. I turned away from him and faced the window. He didn't understand how much this hurt, I didn't want to lose him too.

It's sad to say but no matter how bad he treats me, no matter how much his words hurt me I didn't want to lose him. He is the only 'family' I have left. Sure I had my other family members, but I hardly know them.