Chapter 4

Pain is only an allusion made to hid the real destructive source in us.

Matthew and I are currently seated on the floor in my bedroom. I held the knife that the mysterious dark figure threw that my window in my hands.

"Abigail you know what that means," Matthew said.

I did know what the knife meant. All of the victims of the Magician got an item with the letter M on it before they are killed an item that represented how they'd die, an old blacksmith named Ray got a rock before he was kidnapped and killed, Ray got his head smashed open with that same rock.

"You still think tracking the Magician down is a good idea?" Matt questioned.

"No," I said with a smirk, "I think it's a great idea."

Matthew's hands roll up into fists. He glares at me, "You seem to forget one crucial fact. You could die," he snaps.

"Yeah, but I won't die alone you'll be with me so we'll die together. Which is cool cause it's on our best friend bucket list," I said. Matt smiles a bit probably thinking about the list.

When Matt and I were about six years old, we made a best friend bucket list it had crazy things like becoming pirates and saving the town from evil monsters. Those were the times when the people of Bellsville were vibrant and happy now we live in constant fear and worry.

"I'm only agreeing to this because I want to take care of you, but I won't stop reminding you that this is a bad idea," Matthew said.

My face lit up, "Yay!" I exclaimed, Matt chuckles softly running his hand through his brown curls, a habit he has, not that I'm complaining.

"So miss detective what do you have so far?" Matt asked.

"Well," I said, "the knife trick, is the work of an amateur, the real magician wouldn't have attacked in board daylight or miss his target. It's probably one of his followers."

The magician like any villain had his group of fans, people who supported him killing the innocent and wanted him to kill more. They never showed their faces in town and lived in districts of Bellsville.

"Whoever did this is going to be pretty easy to find, I heard the library has a bunch of newspapers about them, we could go there and do some research," Matt said. I nodded in agreement, although that psychopath had a lot of minions only a few them did anything crazy like attempted murder and so on.

"I've got to go, Mom is probably looking for me," Matt said looking at the watch on his arm.

"Okay I'll take a shower and go down to the library," I said rising from the floor.

"I'll meet you there." Matt pulled me into a tight hug silently telling me to be safe. I pulled away and gave me a small reassuring smile. He kisses my forehead and exits the room. I left my room to lock the front door, as I reach the last steps of the staircase I take in how empty and lonely my house is.

Walking to the kitchen I grab a can of soda and bring it to my lips, the open front door long forgotten. I ponder on how Matt and I are going to find out who tried to kill us then I got a great idea. My dad keeps a file of the magician's followers in his office at home. Dropping the can of soda and fast walk to my dad's office.

I opened the door slowly and tiptoed into the office. It is in its usual messy state, papers were scattered on the floor, he had a pile of soda can's on the left side of the room next to his desk. The one thing my dad and I had in common is we're both messy people.

I opened the cabinet where he kept all the files on the magician and picked out the one labelled Dipshits.

I opened it up and scanned through to see anyone that had multiple felonies. Most of his followers committed one crime then stopped once their disgusting asses got sent to jail.