Part 10

It had been the longest week of Nakayla's life. She felt as though she was sitting on shifting sands with no tether.

More than once, she had picked up the phone, eager to blurt out the news to Karim. She just wasn't programmed to lie or hide the truth as she was doing.

Karim refused to let her go back to the hotel, so she spent her days locked up in the palace. Scared of weakening, she cut herself off from everything. And when life intruded, it only brought a truth that crystallized her decision.

Having learned that Nakayla was the sheikh's scandalous female guest, Huma had come calling. Hugged Nakayla and chattered on and on about how decent life was in Tahiti now, about how she had enrolled herself in a women's college to study nursing.

"Just like you," Huma had whispered with a proud smile.

And in the same innocent way she did everything else, she informed Nakayla of the rumors about the sheikh's upcoming wedding and the celebrations that would ensue.

Nausea filled her throat as Huma continued merrily.

Childhood friends, reunited after several years, daughter of a High Council member, born to be a sheikha and so on...

The excruciating doubts she had had about hiding the pregnancy from him, the conflict that had eroded her from within, everything evaporated at the bitter news.

Not even a little regret pricked her as she packed that night.

Her child would be secondary to neither duty nor a new bride in his father's life. She would make sure of that.