Part 34

Karim and she had just finished their coffee when his phone rang. About to complain that he'd promised her an uninterrupted evening, she caught the words just in time when she saw his expression.

Pulling the cell phone out, he stared at it. And then he clicked it on.

She saw shuddering shock, and relief and such pain in it that she reached for him instantly.

So much emotion, such anguish cloaked his features that looked as if they'd been carved into that mold. "Karim? What's wrong?"

Slowly, his gaze focused on her. As if he had been far, far away from her. "My father...he is awake. And asking for me." His tone had a tremor in it.

"Six years... The last time I saw him, he'd declared to the council that I was his heir. He and Hashim were arguing, screaming, threatening each other. And when Hashim left with a murderous glance at the both of us and my father turned to me, I told him I despised him. That I'd been better off as an orphan. And the next evening, he was found collapsed in his room. His food was poisoned."

"Oh... Karim..."

She wrapped her hands around his nape and pulled him down to her level. Slowly, softly, she kissed him, pouring everything she felt for him. Leaning her forehead against his, Nakayla clasped his cheeks. "Are you afraid?"He laughed again, although it had a bitter tinge to it. He didn't push her away and she was unbelievably glad for that. "No. But I'm weak enough to wish I was anyone but who I am."

"No, Karim. This...pain I see in your eyes, this grief, this love for a man whom you have every reason to hate, your courage to do the right thing by Tahiti, by me, by your father, by everyone that falls in your sphere...this is what makes you you, Karim. And why I love you so much."

His eyes widened, his chin jerked back. As though she had taken a swing at him. As though it was impossible, even unacceptable for her to feel such a thing for him. As if it was the worst fate he'd ever faced. "Nakayla..."

"Why do you sound so shocked?" she said, determined to hold on to her flailing courage. That he was so stunned was not a bad thing, she reassured herself. "But this isn't the time, right? While your father's waiting. So go see him."