Eight

Jerry

"Do you think I overreacted?" Jerry got up from his bed and worriedly wrung his hands, holding them near his chest like a child being scolded.

"Not at all, my lord." Nikolai walked over and gently brushed Jerry's hair, fixing up his appearance. "By putting your son and his grandfather in jail, you've proven that you will not tolerate insolence and that you do not favor any of your people over another." The blond had improved remarkably from the shaking, stuttering man that Jerry had first seen and the result was a put-together advisor with a talent for strategy. Continuing to fix Jerry up, Nikolai spoke as he wove around his leader. "If I may, my lord, I suggest that you now give a display of mercy, so the people of your kingdom will know that you are also kind and fair."

Kind and fair. Jerry liked the way that sounded. "What do you think I should do, then."

"Well, I haven't give too much thought to it," he said in a voice that clearly displayed that he had indeed thought a lot about it. "I believe you should give the inmates in the jail a chance to be... Reformed. Let them bow to you, your majesty, let them kiss your boots and make them an asset to The Settlement as opposed to a burden."

"What about the ones that refuse?" Jerry's thoughts flicked to Rick.

"Give them one more chance after letting them... Think about their decisions. Then, if they still don't come around, have them executed as threats to your throne."

"E-Executed...?" A worm of unease wriggled through Jerry's gut and he shifted from foot to foot. "Isn't that a little, I don't know, harsh?"

"Of course not." Bottle green eyes flashing, Nikolai forced Jerry to meet his gaze. "If they are there, my lord, then they have committed a crime and if they have committed a crime, who's to say they won't do the same, or worse, if given the chance?" His gaze softening, Nikolai laid a hand on Jerry's cheek. "I understand, my lord. Truly, I do. But if they simply will not change their ways, then instead of feeding and clothing criminals we should rid ourselves of them to better feed and clothe your loyal citizens."

Jerry finally relented and gave a small nod. "Okay... But not yet. I... I need a little time to prepare myself, mentally speaking. A-And there's some more pressing matters to attend to. It is almost that time of the year..."

Nikolai laughed, a rich sound, so beautiful it made Jerry proud to be the one to draw it out of him. "Oh, your lordship! I'd nearly forgotten that, though I suppose that makes me the odd one, yes?"

Jerry chuckled, steadily growing attached to Nikolai's gentle warmth. "I should say so. It's a pretty important week, after all! Without it, who knows how we'd keep the population up?"

Nikolai nodded with a small smile and moved to where a small teapot stood on a silver tray. "What do the lower classes call it? Mating season? How animalistic." He poured the steaming liquid into a small china cup, taking it by its delicate handle and carrying it to Jerry's waiting hands.

Jerry hummed and blew on the drink, unwilling to risk his tongue. "It's so strange." He muttered. "Barely more than a week's passed and I'm already forgetting that we used to be part of the lower class."

"I prefer not to think about it." Nikolai sat on the edge of the bed and crossed his legs at the ankles, looking exceptionally regal. "However, I do wonder about what people will expect of you, my lord."

Jerry joined him on the bed. "What do you mean?"

"Well," Nikolai gazed at Jerry through a curtain of blond hair. "I have to wonder what they'll say, my lord. After all, should you choose to sire another child, I do not know how the populous would react."

Jerry flushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm not really that good of a father anyway... I-I think I'll just stay here until the palace's construction is completed."

"Perhaps that is the wisest choice. Now, I have some small matters to attend to. Enjoy your tea, my lord." Nikolai stood and walked out of the bedroom. Jerry watched his back until the closing door blocked the blond from view.

Jerry carefully sipped his tea. It wasn't hot enough to burn.