Fourteen

Morty

The guard held Morty's hand gently, leading him down the now-familiar hallways to The Warden's office. Morty liked The Warden, he was nice and let Morty sit in his lap. He liked touching Morty's hair for some reason.

When they arrived, the guard raised his hand and knocked twice. There was a muffled "Come in," and the guard opened the door and gently nudged Morty inside.

"Hi."

The Warden turned at Morty's greeting and smiled. "Well, hello there, Morty." He turned his chair and held out his arms, letting Morty crawl into his lap. The little boy gave a small hum of satisfaction as he took his seat, laying his small hands on The Warden's arm.

The three screens flickered between views and Morty watched, wide-eyed. He liked the camera views. Grandpa Rick was fighting again and Morty wondered what the poor man that Rick had in a scissor hold had done.

The Warden was petting his hair, gently running his hand over Morty's curls. But this time, The Warden went lower, rubbing Morty's shoulders, then his back, running one hand all over him.

Morty wasn't sure how he felt about this, but it didn't hurt so... It was fine?

The Warden, still rubbing up and down Morty's spine, pulled his other hand away from his work and gently started to tug down the zipper of Morty's prison suit.

That was bad. Morty pushed The Warden's hand away with a quiet, "No."

"It's okay, it's okay." The Warden kissed his hair and took both of Morty's hands in one of his. The Warden had big hands. Holding Morty's hands in a gentle grip, The Warden pulled the zipped down and the suit hung looser on Morty's frame.

"No, no," Morty pulled one hand free and tried to hold the jumpsuit closed.

"Shh shh shh, I won't hurt you, I promise." The Warden's voice was gentle and calming. Slowly, Morty unclenched his fist and let the man push down his suit.

His heart hammered in his chest, beating a tattoo of fear against his ribs, but The Warden hadn't hurt him. The orange fabric was pooled around Morty's hips, his top half naked. Wrapping his arms around himself, he tried to cover his chest, face red.

The Warden hugged him close, enveloping his frail body in the warmth of his big arms. "You're so beautiful..." Morty was surprised by The Warden's muttered words. No one had ever called him beautiful before. Cute, sometimes, but that was all.

Morty relaxed. He wasn't scared anymore. The Warden wouldn't hurt him, he was Morty's friend! What a silly thing to even think. Morty couldn't remember why he'd been so scared.

Gently, The Warden lifted Morty up and laid him belly-down over his legs. Morty turned his head, looking curiously upward. The Warden smiled and gently scratched Morty's back. Morty almost purred like a cat, melting from The Warden's touch.

Morty liked The Warden, he was nice. Rick didn't know what he was talking about.

~~~
Morty woke up, thoughts cloudy from sleep. He barely opened one eye and, seeing no sunlight, wondered why he was up. Then he realized that he was moving, being carried, and there was a soft rattle of an opening cell.

Someone else's arms wrapped around him and he was pulled away from his first carrier. A familiar scent surrounded him and he wondered dimly what it reminded him of.

There was a bit more movement and a dull creak of old bedsprings and Morty was cradled in someone's lap. Hands wandered across his body, checking his arms and legs and face, and his suit, not quiet fully zipped, was tugged closed.

Then he was laid down and a cover was pulled over him. He fell back to sleep.