04

When Luke went out that night, I was in charge of Ellie and Corey.

They asked me questions, naturally curious.

I answered. They were mostly, "What's your favourite colour, Sophie?" or "What's your favourite food, Miss Thophie?" or even, "Do you have a boyfriend, yet?"

I answered them all as honestly and as patiently as I could. Although I'd worked with children since I was sixteen, they asked so much that it was hard to keep track.

I did my best, though. Ellie even let me into her room, despite how Luke warned me earlier on how much she didn't want anyone but herself being in there.

At the time, it made me happy that she trusted me. It meant that she liked me.

I don't know what I expected, to be honest. I thought she'd have dolls on the shelves, old pictures of her and her little brother. Maybe even the odd trophy or two or memorabilia from the mother that never seemed to be around.

I came into contact with none of these when I walked in.

Because on every wooden shelf wasn't a doll, or a trophy, or a picture frame. No sentimental gift from a relative, not even one.

What every single shelf did have, however, was a dead animal; upright, looking alive, and stuffed from head to toe in sawdust.