05

I was so freaked out that, obviously, I never wanted to babysit for Luke again. But he liked me so much that he came in a week later, asked for the same thing, and I found myself in the same place that very evening.

As you can see, I used to be very bad at making any good life decisions.

I soon got used to the 'stuffed' animals on Ellie's shelf. I don't know how, I don't know when. I think it's because of the way she talked so deep in awe about them, as if they were still alive.

That, and because I just kept coming around. I couldn't help it. It was good money, and besides- I got to please Luke. Blame me for letting my inner sappy schoolgirl get the best of me, but that's what I did.

"Where did you get these from, El?" I asked her, carefuly poking the feather of one terrified looking bird. And I remember thinking, you and me both, buddy.

"My dad," she said proudly, little hands on her hips, "He brings them home for me and Corey to play with,"

"Where does he get them?" I asked, genuinely curious. My words were slow because I didn't want to offend her, though I also still had yet to find out what Luke did for a living.

Last time I checked, it was expensive to get an animal taxidermied. His job must have paid pretty damn good for him to be able to afford all of it.

"From his work," Ellie replied, swinging her legs off of the edge of her mattress and walking towards me.

"His work?"

"Mhm," somebody else then quipped, and I turned to see Corey waddling into the room, a plastic Nerf gun in his right hand.

I raised an eyebrow at the pair of them as he carried on speaking, his sister toying delicately with the stiff ears of a shock-frozen wolf.

"Our dad'sth a taxidermist, Miss Thophie."